Thread: DVI Splitter

New Lounger
    Thanks

DVI Splitter

I have a Radeon 9000 Pro Dual Head video card installed in a computer I use to make presentations using an LCD projector. I use the DVI connection to send to the projector (much clearer picture than VGA) and the VGA connector outputs to my monitor which has the presentation software.

The presentation software I use (MediaShout) is awesome, allowing for non-linear presentations, with a small portion of the screen dedicated as the monitor that shows a representation of what the projector is projecting.

I have read that DVI connectors also contain the standard VGA signal on certain pins, which allows the DVI to be connected to a VGA monitor using an adapter. I have also seen DVI splitters, that plug into the DVI connector and have separate DVI and VGA connectors at the other end. I was thinking of trying one of these splitters so I could attach another VGA monitor to the split VGA signal and get a better view of the image the projector is sending.

I know it's kind of off-the-wall, but has anyone else tried doing this? Any success? ATI's "Customer Care" has been no help.

What I'm not sure is if the video card sends both signals at the same time, and if it does, are the signals strong enough to drive both the DVI-input on the projector and the VGA input on a monitor?

Thanks!
    Dave

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DVI Splitter

Hi Dave,

Most projectors I've used have a video pass-through feature. This allows you to plug in a monitor (usually VGA) to see what's being seen on the projector. This would usually be intended for a computer who's only video out was going to the projector. If your projector has a DVI out, for the same purpose, you could use a DVI-to-VGA converter/adapter. The only one I have came with my video card, but I imagine they won't be too expensive.

Hope this helps

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DVI Splitter

Hey Mark,
    Unfortunately, I opted not to get the VGA pass-through, thinking at some point I might mount the projector to the ceiling (possibly in an auditorium) and I wouldn't have access to the VGA port, or would have to install a distribution amplifier and a long cable back the workstation area. I had resigned myself to not being able to have a 2nd monitor display the signal until I received an email a few months back about the DVI splitter. It's only $50, so maybe I'll get it and experiment to see if it works. I was hoping someone may have done it before. Thanks for your response!

Dave