New Lounger
    Thanks

Hourglass (Access 97)

I'm having trouble with the hourglass!

I've got an unbound search screen which lets users specify criteria, then click a 'run' button to return all records meeting their search criteria. One of the things that the vba routine does, while building the record list, is to turn the hourglass on to let the user know that something is happening, and turn it off when the display is complete. This all works fine. There's only one 'docmd.hourglass true' and one 'docmd.hourglass.false' in the form code, both in the same procedure.

Now I'm trying to call the form and stuff some pre-defined criteria into the search boxes, then call the run_click routine to return my selected records. This should behave exactly as if the user had entered the criteria and clicked the run button manually, but it doesn't - the cursor doesn't change to an hourglass.

I've put breakpoints in the code and stepped through line-by-line - the cursor changes to an hourglass then.

I've got a similar database, based upon the same routines, and the hourglass works fine in that one when doing a similar thing.

This one's really got me stumped.

Anyone else had problems with the hourglass ?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hourglass (Access 97)

Is it so fast that it is finished before the hourglass cursor appears?
    Alternatively try to set/unset your hourglass cursor from the routine you use to fill the criteria fields automatically.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the comments, Andy, but I've tried all those.

I've even disabled the docmd.hourglass false, just in case it was too fast for me, but that wasn't it.

When stuffing a particular value into a criteria field, I get the form opening and (after a short delay) a display of 21 records, but no hourglass. If I then click the run button myself, without changing the criteria, I get the hourglass and then a display of the same 21 records.

Are there any known circumstances under which the hourglass doesn't operate correctly ?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wierd!