Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lookup Columns (XP)

I was wondering if anyone knew an easy way to complete the following problem I have. I have a tool inventory and wanted to create a table with lookup columns and I start out selecting brand then type of tool and I would like for the following columns to be narrowed down each time I select the column before it. let me know if you do not understand. I was just wondering if it was possible. Oh I do not know any programming either. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help

T

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Lookup Columns (XP)

It is possible to do what you describe, BUT. . . It cannot be done at the table level, only at the form level, and to do it on forms requires using linked combo boxes, which means using VBA. There are a number of recent threads in the forum dealing with this subject as it is a common need in order to validate data - i.e. you can't select a monkey wrench from a company that doesn't make them. You should be able to find sample code in some of the forums and adapt it to your needs - folks here would be happy to help you through the rough spots. But you will need to create a form. Holler if any of this doesn't make sense.
    Wendell

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lookup Columns (XP)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by charlotte on 17-Jan-03 20:35. to activate link and mail link)</P>Check out

Cascading Combo Boxes Demo

at

Candace Tripp
    ctripp1@earthlink.net
    http://www.candace-tripp.com/

HTH

John