2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Distinctive Ring (Windows XP Home )

I just installed Windows XP. Now I can't get the distinctive ring feature on either the Windows XP fax program or on the WinFaxPro 10.2 program I bought. I have tried to get the distinctive ring option using AOpen FM56 EXV and AOpen FM56 PM modems and I have downloaded the latest drivers for both modems. I must have a distinctive ring feature that works because I only have 1 phone line.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Distinctive Ring (Windows XP Home )

windows fax does not support that feature. I'm not sure if winfax does, but if it does not specifically say it does, then no driver in the world will make it work.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If I recall correctly, distinctive ring is a feature of the modem, not the software, though you may need to be able to setup the modem from software. In any event it seems to me this really belongs in either the Windows XP forum or the hardware form, and not this forum. You should get better answers there so I will move the entire thread and create a post in General Office that the thread has been moved.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I found the following statement at Symantec:

Distinctive ring can only be used in Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me.

Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, and Windows XP do not support caller ID or distinctive ring using its version of TAPI

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I thought "distinctive ring" was something the phone company had to set up for your particular line - but presumably that's been done already?
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

The phone company does set it up. I think the point here is that wwob can't make use of it.
    (Typically you would have two numbers incoming on the same line, but a different ring-tone depending on the number used. So if incoming ringtone A was voice and incoming ringtone B was fax, ideally the FaxModem would only respond to ringtone B.)

However, wwob.....
    There are some claims of workrounds in this forum at modemhelp.net. Please let us know how you get on.