New Lounger
    Thanks

Connecting to Access databases (XP Pro)

I have been trying to write VB.Net code in web forms to interact with an Access database, e.g. insert operation from text box control, and have been unable to get it to work. Getting data out is a lot simpler. Has anyone some basic code that will help me out? I have been trying to set up a new application where data can be entered by a user and then stored in a database.

Graeme

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Connecting to Access databases (XP Pro)

Hi Graeme,

The quickest example I could find is from Microsoft's MSDN site: ADO.NET Primer.

This looks like a great article that will apply to almost any .NET environment or language. Unfortunately, the examples are all in C# rather than VB. There are quite a few links below the article that can lead you into other directions. (By the way, you'll have to use the DataAdapter object to write data.)

Hope this helps!

Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Connecting to Access databases (XP Pro)

I think you have a standard ADO.Net problem, rather than anything to do with JET.

In Visual Studio.Net, add a new form to your project, using the "data form wizard". Select a DSN to your access data file, and make sure you go for fields not a datagrid. The wizard will generate sample code for you to pick apart.
    (If you do this from a VB profect, you get VB code, from a C# project you get C# code.)

The issue, for the uninitiated, is that you have to save the changes from the form to the dataset, and then commit the altered dataset back to teh datasource. By default, you spend a lot of time committing the unchanged dataset...