4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Set up of Win 2000

I had my first experience with Win 2000 yesterday. There are a few minor problems which I would like some help on. I don't have a machine at my disposition, so much of this is memory. I also don't have much time when I am on the 2000 machine in the other office to experiment around.

When I open the Win Explorer, the panel where the list of programs is displayed shows a large graph of the hard disk utilization. Can I just show a list of the files? The tech says that that is the way it is, and I must live with it. That is a little hard to believe.

The other problem is a little more worrisome. I transferred two linked Access databases, but the file structure has the My Documents folder within the name of the person who currently is operating the machine. Something like C:JohnMy Documents. Obviously, the links are bad. Access is looking for C:My Documents. Once again the tech says that that "feature" if so that each operator can have his own files, etc, and can't be modified. There is only one operator. Can I change that? Anyway, what do you when you change operators? If you change names, the links are once again bad.

These must be part of an "options" group or something similar.

Thanks

Re: Set up of Win 2000

First Problem:

Tools > Folder Options >
    Make sure "Use Windows classic folders" is selected under Web View
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (8.1 KB, 0 views)

Thanks

Re: Set up of Win 2000

Regarding the Access linked tables, use the linked table wizard to change the path for yourself and go from there.

If your question about multiple users is more than hypothetical, you probably should create a new folder at the root level, e.g., c:AccessDBs. Others may not have any rights to your My Documents folder, in which case re-linking isn't even an option.