New Lounger
    Thanks

NTFS (Windows XP Home)

I had a 60gig hard drive installed. When Windows XP was re-installed - the only choice was NTFS. I downloaded the XP SP1 and my computer crashed. Tried again - same thing happened. When I had a 30gig hard drive with Fat 32 and downloaded SP1 I had no problem as a matter of fact the SP1 corrected a problem I was having with my Intel PC camera locking up and it worked fine. Now I'm back to no camera and not being able to get SP1. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: NTFS (Windows XP Home)

Jean,
    NTFS should have no bearing on your ability to download SP-1. Do you have a dialup connection? Can you try late at night or early in the AM? If not, you can consider ordering SP-1 on CD (for shipping & handling only) from MS.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Joe, for your reply. I have a cable connection. It's not downloading SP1 - it's after it's downloaded and installed. When I start up the computer it goes as far as the WELCOME screen, shuts off and starts again - over and over.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Jean, You're welcome. Do you have the system set to stop on an error? To check, right click My Computer then select Properties | Advanced | Startup and recovery Settings, make sure Automatic restart is not checked. This may stop the re-boot and give ayou a BSOD that should have error information on it. Did you download the network install (the big 130 MB one)? With a cable modem I found this the best apporach as I didn't have to worry about another download if SP-1 needed to be re-applied? Did you disable any anti-virus software while installing SP-1? You could try booting to safe mode and uninstalling SP-1. Then re-boot to safe mode again and re-install SP-1. BTW, make sure that you've got updated drivers - particularly video drivers.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Boot to Safe Mode (pressing F8 immediately after first splash screen appears and choosing "Safe Mode" from the list).

If your computer will boot to Windows (no restarts anymore), preform full system scan for viruses. To do this, you must have the latest Virus Definitions, or no more than one week old.
    If there is no viruses, check Device Manager for hardware conflicts (press WIndows key and Pause/Break key simultaneously, then choose Hardware tab, Device Manager button.) If there is no conflicts (no yellow exclamation signs or red Xes), run CHKDSK /f (Start | Run and type it) and reboot.

If it is still impossible to boot to Windows, boot from your Installation CD and from the menu choose "Repair Windows".

Your problem has nothing to do with file system (NTFS or FAT), the cause is something else.
    BTW, did you download full Service Pack to your hard drive first and then run it from there? I would highly recommend to do this way in the future, and also burn service packs to CD (if you can) and save them - it is ninety percent probability that you will need them more than once.