Thread: network printer

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

network printer

I recently had to format and reinstall 98 SE on one of my compters. I am getting an error message when I try to install a network printer. I can print to this printer from other computers on the Lan. I choose add new printer, network printer, and browse to it's location. I see the files being copied. Then when I click print test page, I get a message - error while spooling to "". - unable to create new spool job. I then have to ctr-alt-delete to the task manager to close the spooler. The network seems to be working fine other than that. Any ideas?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: network printer

Are you using the drivers copied from the remote computer and is the OS of that machine 98? If not you need to use the 98 drivers from the Windows CD or the Printer CD.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes I am using the drivers copied from the machine that is connected to the printer - as I have done before. Both machines run 98SE.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A follow-up - I can print to two other printers on my lan with the same computer with no problems after adding them in install printers. It seems to be just the one remote printer giving me problems on this machine. The other remote machines can print to this printer with no problem. Got me stumped. I tried installing the printer software on the machine in question and that didn't help. Thing is - it worked before the re-install of 98.