3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This Page Cannot Be Displayed (IE 6.0)

There are a couple of web sites I am unable to access. Whether clicking on a link or typing in the address directly, I get the dreaded "This Page Cannot Be Displayed". I know there is nothing wrong with the web sites because I've checked with others and they have no problem accessing these sites. I know this is really "general", but what would happen to my configuration to make it impossible to access just a couple of sites?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: This Page Cannot Be Displayed (IE 6.0)

Shut down Internet explorer then delete your temporary internet files and history.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Sometimes your computer or your company's internal DNS server or your ISP's DNS server or an ISP web page cache will lead you astray and not even try the "real" website.

To test the theory that it's a "name resolution" problem, you can try to access the page using the site's IP address. For example, at this moment you can get to the front page of the Lounge using either:

http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/wwwthreads.pl
    - or -
    http://63.151.114.115/cgi-bin/w3t/wwwthreads.pl

I say "at this moment" because ISPs can move things around and simply change a name resolution file to point the domain to a new host.

To look up an IP address, you can use a program named nslookup, but you need to use one on a web site that isn't hooked into any of the potentially problematic servers described at the beginning of this post. Here are some that might work for you (initial results of Google search):

name.space's "DNS 411" nslookup page
    ZoneEdit.com's nslookup page (enter your host name in box 1 on the left)
    Ralf D. Kloth's nslookup page
    Infobear's nslookup page
    Eye-net Consulting's nslookup page in Australia

Different hosts at a domain can have different addresses, so you should search for exactly the host you want to find (e.g., my.yahoo.com or msdn.microsoft.com), and sandwich the number back into the complete URL.

If the IP address works, then there are a variety of possible issues. Let us know what you find!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Another possibility is firewall settings. I get this sometimes when running Norton Internet Security. As a "privacy" feature, it disabled "referrer" information because some sites us the information to track where you've been. However, other sites use the information to verify that you're going to the page through a "legitimate" route; e.g., from a business partner that paid for the service.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using Info Bear's NS lookup page I was able to find the IP address and successfully link to one of the pages I haven't been able to access. I haven't tried the others yet. I suspected this might be an answer since I had run into this problem before and our ISP had helped out by looking up the web site IP for me. Thanks so much for directing me to where I can do this for myself. I don't know what the problem would be that keeps me from accessing the site otherwise. The last time it corrected itself after a time. Thanks again so much! You're my hero!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I thought the work-around you showed me would be good enough to get me through until I get my new computer, since I figure the glitch has to be a configuration problem. I don't know enough about such things to be sure. Regardless, it may be some time now before I can get a new computer, so I would like to get to the bottom of this. My problem now is that any link I click on within a web site I've accessed using an IP address brings me to the dreaded "This Page Cannot Be Displayed". The problem has also spilled over into web sites that don't initially give me a problem accessing but prevent me from getting to linked web sites. For example, I can access the E-bay web site, do a search for an item, but when I click on the link to look at the subject item, I get "This Page....." Any suggestions, short of reformatting? Or wouldn't that matter?

Thanks

Hmmm, sorry to hear that. So much for being a hero.

If you float your mouse over these links, do they have a different host name? Then it could still be a DNS problem. If they have the IP address as the host name, then it probably is something else.

What kind of ISP do you have - dial-up? cable? DSL? Do you connect through a network or does the modem connect directly to your computer?

Normally you want your settings to be to get addresses assigned automatically. If you check the properties for the connection (the way to get this will vary from one version of Windows to another), you might find something odd there, perhaps some obsolete name services listed. I know this is a very general description, but I'm running Windows 2000, so I don't have any other OS close at hand for step-by-step. What version do you have?

Following up on the other suggestion, do you run any firewall software (e.g., Norton security, PC-Cillin's firewall, ZoneAlarm)?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Jeff, it sounds like a DNS error plain and simple. If he reaches the site via the number, but ALL the links on the site don't work, then his DNS server is screwed up. It is not correctly resolving the names in the links.

His ISP's DNS server sounds like the source of the problem. I suspect you can overcome this by creating your own DNS file ( a Hosts file) and performing local name-to-address resolution for the sites that the DNS server is screwing up.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When I float my mouse over the links in question, they don't have a different host name nor the IP address as the host name.

I have a dial-up ISP with my modem connected directly through my computer.

I'm running Win ME. No firewall software.

I run a pop-up stopper and Ad-aware 6.0. Would either of these or both cause my problem?

Thanks

If you open your Dial-up networking folder (possibly in My Computer), dig around for the TCP/IP properties of your dial-up connection. What's I'm curious about is whether you have any manually set DNS servers, or whether everything is automatic. If you have manually set DNS server, make a note of them, and try switching to automatic (get an address automatically, or something like that). If it already is fully automatic, I think there must be something wrong at the ISP. You could try using different DNS servers, although this might be blocked by many ISPs. You could try some of the more authoritative servers on the 'net:

<pre> A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET 198.41.0.4
    F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET 192.5.5.241
    J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET 198.41.0.10
    K.ROOT-SERVERS.NET 193.0.14.129
    NS1.AUTH.IANA.ORG 192.0.34.126
    NS.RIPE.NET 193.0.0.193
    NS.APNIC.NET 203.37.255.97
    SVC00.APNIC.NET 202.12.28.131
    NS1.CRSNIC.NET 198.41.3.39
    NS2.NSIREGISTRY.NET 198.41.3.108</pre>

You should only need to use one of the numbers, and it should be apparent right away if there's a problem: you won't be able to browse anywhere. Hope this helps.