4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Currency type in query (Win ME/Access 97)

I have declared a field in a table to be Currency. If later I use that field in a query and declare it as Fixed, do I still maintain the arithmetic characteristics of the Currency type? I don't want to show $ signs in the query.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Currency type in query (Win ME/Access 97)

The currency datatype gives you 4 decimal places. You don't have to use the currency display type with it if you format it as something else. In internationalizing our applications, we commonly use the Standard number format for currency in order to pick up the decimal and digit grouping delimiters for the current regional settings but avoid the currency symbol. Does that answer your question?
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Currency type in query (Win ME/Access 97)

How the data is stored in the table is kept completely separate from how it is formatted/displayed. (eg. Using a date value cast as a long is an easy shortcut to get at the date).
    This separation does lead to confusion such as the following. You look at a table and see three records. Each with a field value of 1.25. The query summing these returns 3.74! If you modified the table to show it to 3 decimal places you then see 1.246 as the value stored and everything becomes very clear.