New Lounger
    Thanks

Tables of Contents and Headers Containing Quotes (Word XP)

Is it possible to use a phrase that contains quotation marks as a header in a Table of Contents? I have a 60-page document for which I'm trying to create a TOC. About ten of the headings in the document contain quotation marks (i.e. "Occupying" a Motor Vehicle; Insurance on "Loaners."). When I go to create the Table, however, the quotation marks seem to be causing some problems. For example, what should be:

Insurance on "Loaners."........................................ .............42

turns into:

Insurance on "Loaners.......................................... ..............42

and:

"Occupying" a Motor Vehicle........................................... .......51

turns into:

"Occupying" a Motor Vehicle........................................... ....51

Any ideas or suggestions? Can I make this work?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Tables of Contents and Headers Containing Quotes (Word XP)

I don't have XP here and Word 97 doesn't reproduce the same problem so these are guesses that might be worth trying.

1. Remove the h switch from the TOC field code and rebuild - the problem may be hyperlink related
    2. Try smart quotes vs dumb quotes
    3. What happens when the quotes are not at the beginning or end of the line. Can you add a space for a different result?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have Word 2002 either. If nothing else works, try replacing the quotes in the headings with double apostrophes. Not elegant, but...

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry -- I forgot to mention that none of my TOC entries actually *start* with quotation marks. Each of them begins with a number and a tab (1. "Occupying" a motor vehicle.).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions! First, changing the smart quotes to dumb quotes didn't seem to make any difference. However, I tried removing the h switch and updating the fields in the TOC, and it did get rid of all of the extra backslashes. Thank you!

An interesting side note -- I tried playing around with the placement of the quotation marks. As long as you get rid of the h switch and quotation marks aren't the very first things in your header, you won't encounter any problems. However, if quotation marks *are* the first things in your header, you'll lose that first set of quotation marks when you build the Table of Contents. I even tried making a space the first thing in the header -- I still lose the first set of quotation marks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have XP either but how about trying preceding the item in quotes with some hidden text? (or following the end quote with hidden text).

You also said if you get rid of the h and quotes are not the very first thing (assume last thing applies also), you're ok. But what if only one of those hold? For example, can you keep h if the quotes are somewhere in the middle of the header?

Lastly, I'm confused about your statement in your previous email that the quotes are not the first thing - that each item begins with a number and a tab. Did you put those in or are those part of the numbering provided by Word? If the latter, I'd think the quotes are still considered the first thing. In which case, back to my original suggestion of trying hidden text.

Fred