3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TOC Alignment (Word 2002/SP-2)

There have been posts about this before, so I am not sure there is an answer but here goes.

I have a document nicely done with styles. My sample file uses just Heading 1 and Heading 2. Heading 2 numbers continuously throughout the document; not resetting after each heading 1. When the numbers goes from 9. to 10., I want them aligned at the decimal. I do this in the body of the document by changing the number alignment to Right. I even use the Style Separator (new to Word 2002 - prior versions use a hidden paragraph mark - which is what the style separator is ... but I digress). All of this is good and works as I want.

I have used heading styles, so I generate my table of contents (TOC) using "from template" - it should all work ... but it doesn't! I can not figure out a way to have the TOC2 numbers line up at the decimal point. It doesn't use "numbering" so I can't use the right-align as in the body of the document. There is no tab stop in front, so I can't change the tab stop type.

Is there ANY way to get the numbers to line up at the decimal?!?

I have a client working on a 75+ page document with over 100 heading 2 entries. They want the TOC numbers to line up like the document numbers. Seems reasonable ... but undoable. Suggestions ...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TOC Alignment (Word 2002/SP-2)

Hi Darryl,

I understand what you are describing here. I do not beleive it is possible to accomplish this. When the TOC is generated automatically the result is a field, however, the text within the field is just text. As far as I know there is no way to tell Word to align the number on the decimal because it does not recognize a number it simply sees a paragraph.

Kyle Knowles
    eSubmission Publisher

New Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with Kyle that the TOC is a field (or series of fields) and therefore doesn't take its formatting from the Heading styles in your document, which means you can't control the position of those item numbers. However, if your client really wants those numbers to be right-aligned on the decimal as you describe, then I suggest that after you run and update your TOC table, block the whole table and press CTRL+SHIFT+F9 to change it from a field (or series of fields) to hard text, then create a style to arrange the item numbers as you want them. It might be annoying to do this if you need to update the TOC after you've changed it to hard text, but once you create the style for the right-aligned item numbers, it will stay in your document and you can reapply it each time you change the TOC to hard-text.
    Cyndie Browning
    GableGotwals
    Tulsa, OK

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unless I am not understanding the problem, one thing to remember is that the lines in the TOC use styles TOC 1 through TOC 9 automatically. Try modifying the TOC 2 style to match your Heading 2 style and see if the numbering lines up properly.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The problem is that the numbers at the beginning of each line do not use numbering. It picks up the number from the numbering/styles in the document, but in the TOC, it is just text. So there is nothing to work with to move the numbers. So heading style 2 is linked to level 2 on the outline numbering and the number is set to right justify. This does not carry over to TOC2.

There are a couple of things that could be done with styles/macros after the fact, but I was hoping that I had overlooked something.

Thanks

I had a vague thought that there might be a way to place a tab before the automatic numbering (if you can insert text, why not a tab?), but it doesn't seem to work. If you find a way to do it, then maybe you could use right tabs to fix the problem?