New Lounger
    Thanks

Excel Printing Problem (Excel 2000 SR1)

My husband migrated from Win 3.1 and Office 6 to Win 98 SE and Office 2000 when he got a new MIcron computer a couple of years ago. He moved his data from the old computer to the new. While doing so he accepted all options to convert the data files to the new office format. He is able to print out of every Office 2000 program with the exception of Excel. And in Excel he can print new spreadsheets that have not been saved and closed. Once he closes and reopens them they will not print properly. None of the .xls files he moved from his old computer will print. For example when trying to print a one page .xls file, instead of getting one page, he gets up to 30 pages each one with a few meaningless characters on it. I don't think it's a printer problem because the other Office programs print fine and so do the .xls files that have not been saved and closed. But I'm at a loss at where to begin in an attempt to fix this. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
    Thank you, Billie Jo

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel Printing Problem (Excel 2000 SR1)

Billie Jo

If my memory does not fail to me (version 6 is of many years ago) .

the update of Excel 6 to Excel 97 caused many problems in the files, some of the problems was in the formats of cells and the print out.
    My recommendation is the following one:
    one by one open your files and save them as *.html
    then, open the files *.HTML and save them as *.xls (save it with another name, until you are sure that the file is OK)

you try with one and if it works, make it with the others

I have the hope this solves your problem.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Another thing to try besides the save as html trick is to remove your printer from the list and put it back in (Start, settings, printers).
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

New Lounger
    Thanks

Servando,
    I tried your recommendation. It sounded like such a good idea but it didn't work. Thank you for your effort. While working with this problem I have noticed that the first page printed always reads exactly the same, [minus quotes]
    "A+Bookman Old Stylgf@CC +PA" What I was unable to show in that quote is that there is a line under both +'s and one right above the A. My biggest problem in trying to correct this problem is that I am not personally an Excel user. I just troubleshoot for my husband who is.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Jan. As you suggested, in addition to trying the html trick , I removed and put the printer back in several times. I also installed new drivers for the printer. So far nothing has worked. Please see my response to Servando for a further explanation of what is going on.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Out of curiosity, does the following show when you try to use "SaveAs", or is there another format listed there?
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks

The "Bookman Old Stylgf@CC " sounds like a font problem. Try changing the font in the cells to arial or some other font.

JT

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Michael
    It looks exactly like your example.

New Lounger
    Thanks

When I saw "Bookman Old Stylgf@CC" I thought about the same thing you did. Then when your message came in I decided to give your suggestion a try. I discovered that the spread sheets were in many different fonts. I switched them to Arial then they printed fine. But when I opened the ones in which Arial was the font already being used and they wouldn't print I had to do some thinking. So I selected the whole document, changed to any convenient font, unselected the document, reselected it again, and changed it back to Arial. After that it printed fine. Strange, don't you think? Anyway, so far so good today. If I run into more problems I'll let you all know. Thanks to everyone who helped me with this. I appreciate it very much. Billie Jo