I receive some newsletters in HTML. I get strange a few characters in them from time to time. I am trying to figure out what is happening and if it can be fixed.

For one example, the latest WAW #5.02 has strange characters in the second question that asks about dashes in zip codes. It reads "... in his reports XXX they show up in ...". Where I show Xs here, I see a small a with "a" circumflex, a Euro currency symbol, and left double quotes (). The underlying HTML source seems to support the strange characters (+acirc;+#8364;+#8220; where the pluses are really ampersands).

Also in WAW #5.02 many apostrophes (guess) show up as 3 characters: small "a" with a circumflex, a Euro currency symbol, and a trademark symbol (). The underlying HTML source also seems to support these characters (+acirc;+#8364;+#8482; where the pluses are really ampersands).

In another newsletter, I also see the last string of 3 characters: small "a" with a circumflex, a Euro currency symbol, and a trademark symbol (). Here the HTML source shows a single right quote (? Alt-0146). The author posts the last newsletter on his web site. IE6 displays the single quote correctly.

I am running Outlook 2002 SP1 on WinXP Pro SP-1.