Thread: LOCKED FILE

New Lounger
    Thanks

LOCKED FILE

How do I remove a locked file. I no longer need it.
    don't know how it got locked. Msg box says that it is in use by another program. Not that I know of. It tells me its a read only file. It's all news to me.

BAM

Re: LOCKED FILE

Hi KCO,

The message you are receiving is due to a temp file called the Owner not getting deleted.

When you open a document/template in Word an Owner file is created. This file stores the User Name of individual that currently has the file "in use". This is primarily utilized in a network environment where more than on person has access to the same files.

The Owner file for a document looks something like ~$FileName.doc and is stored in the same folder as the document.

This file is normally deleted when the document is closed, however in the event that the document isn't closed naturally (do to a computer hang, power failure, etc) then it may not be deleted.

To correct this problem, exit Word and use Start/Run/Find/Files or Folders and search for:
    ~$*.do?

and delete any of these files that you find. Also it wouldn't hurt to search for all temp files:
    *.tmp

and delete those as well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!