Lounger
    Thanks

redlining disappears when printing (XP, sp2)

My secretary is running Word XP (2002), with all service packs and updates installed, under WIndows 2000, also with all service packs and updates installed.

Recently she's been encountering a situation in which Word will redline a document, and the changes will correctly show up on screen, but when printed, the document prints as a clean document (i.e., as though all of the changes had been accepted).

Print preview, however, shows the marked changes properly on the screen.

If she saves the redline, shuts down word, and then opens the redline and prints it, it then prints fine, correctly showing on the printout all of the changes reflected on the screen.

Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks...Bob

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: redlining disappears when printing (XP, sp2)

Well the situation I ran into was not quite the same as yours. When this happened with one user we found that the option was set to 'original'. Might be worth looking at ... click on View|Toolbars|reviewing and see what the options are set to.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the thought, but unfortunately, that's not it.

Changing the view options affects what's on screen, not just the printout (unless there's one I haven't found - always possible).

In our case the view options are set to "Final Showing Markup", and correctly display the redlining on screen. It just doesn't print (unless Word is shut down and restarted, that is, in which case it prints fine)

Thanks...Bob

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Weird. I've never liked or used track changes, but after reading your post, thought I try it out just to see if they are improved in 2002 (as billed). I just created a dummy document in Word 2002. LIke you I had 'final showing markup' as choice. In my case the changes did not appear on screen; that is is showed my change but did not indicate the strikeout. Tried a second document to show redline and strikeout on screen and tried all options available but it just isn't happening. Just reinforces my opposition to track changes. I'll stick with DeltaView.