2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No Folder Properties display in XP (XP Pro SP 1)

I have discovered the 'cause' of my problems, but cannot find anyway to 'fix' the problem....maybe someone here knows something I don't? This information also applies to Internet Information Services, but seems to have wider system implications, hence the reason I've posted here.

Problem:
    1. Right clicking folders and choosing 'properties' in Windows XP Explorer doesn't display the properties of the folder (nothing at all happens)
    2. MMC won't open with IIS (hangs)
    3. Cannot Uninstall IIS (system hangs and then reboots if I try)

Cause

I've tracked this behaviour down to the IIS Admin service (the inetinfo process), thanks to this site.
    When I run XP in safe mode, and disable the IIS Admin service (previously set to automatic), symptom 1 and 3 above is fixed. Obviously symptom 2 relies on this service to operate so symptom 2 is not fixed.

I cannot find any MS documentation on this problem. I cannot find anything else on the net about this problem.

I want to run IIS, but at present I cannot. This symptom is not limited to this particular PC, I have another PC with Windows XP on it, with similar but not identify software on it also, and I haev exactly the same problem.

Any suggestions or help greatly appreciated.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: No Folder Properties display in XP (XP Pro SP 1)

Hmm. I run IIS with XP Pro and don't have any problems. IIS does hang occaisionally, but I think that's actually one of our components behaving badly. Which makes me wonder - do you have a plain vanilla IIS install, or have you added other components to the web server? Any ISAPI filters, alternate servers, FrontPage Extensions, webs with ActiveX or Java components that run on Application or Session start? Any of those could cause IIS to hang.

You might also try this:

Open the properties for a folder. If it stalls, open a command line (cmd) and type iisreset. See if the properties come up when the server restarts.

HTH

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: No Folder Properties display in XP (XP Pro SP

It is just a straight vanilla install of XP Pro.

I have tried it both on my laptop and desktop computers that are both running XP Pro.

Any attempt to stop the IISAdmin service (inetinfo.exe) doesn't work. The service won't stop once it is started! I have to start XP Pro in safe mode to actually remove the service (and IIS) - as safe mode does not run the IISAdmin service

It must be an incompatibility between software I have on my machines and inetinfo.exe. What I am really hoping is that someone may be able to tell me which piece of software may be causing it...but if not, I may just have to start the very long and laborious task of starting with a fresh install, then install each piece of software one at a time, see when IIS stops working.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Also, if I try to uninstall IIS after the IISAdmin service has started, the PC thinks for a long time, then resets itself ! (ie. catastrophically crashes)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That sounds like a bad combination of something (software/hardware). Is the hardware up to date? I know NT used to have the HCL (Hardware Compatibility List) to go by; not sure if XP has an HCL.

Antivirus software is the first thing I'd check. We've seen problems with NAV and MacAffee, especially if the version running on the web server is not the Server version of the antivirus product (although I've been okay with XP Pro running plain old VirusScan). Otherwise, a reinstall might be the way to go.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmm, yeah. The laptop and desktop are both very new and the desktop has fairly 'standard' brand-name components in it. I'd be surprised if it was the hardware.

My money is on some software somewhere. I've got Norton Anti-virus on the desktop and PC-Cillin on the laptap, but I'll try uninstalling Norton on the desktop to see if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestions.

J

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have certainly found the culprit to part of my problems.

I say this rather sheepishly, as the answer is a bit embarrising.

Anyway, along the way, I've discovered a great tool for sorting issues like this out (or at least trying to diagnose what is causing the problem). It is msconfig utility...go to the run prompt and type msconfig and it comes up!

It lets you disable services, startups from registry, win.ini and other ini files on the next boot up!

Anyway..I discovered that it was Zonealarm that was causing the problems with starting and stopping the IIS Admin service (but not the 'folder' problems). I traced this back to me stupidly 'denying' access to the internet for the IIS Admin service...however, not realising (although I should have) that this service communicates to 127.0.0.1 (localhost). I did not have this IP set up as a trusted IP, so the service could never start up or shut down. OOOPS

I still haven't found the culprit for the folder properties, but this to me is a minor issue.

I hope this might help others out that may run into the same problem somewhere along the line.

Cheers

Jayden