Lounger
    Thanks

Mail restoration

Prior to make a partition and reformat my HD, I copied my OE5 mail into a CD ROM.
    I copied the folderWindowsApplicationDataIdentities(long string of # & letters)MicrosoftOutlook ExpressMail.
    When I wanted to restore the old mail to the newly installed OE5, found a lot of *.idx files and *.mbx files in the CD Rom.
    From this site, learnt about DBXtract.exe . Downloaded and tried it.No luck.
    Then tried MBXCtract, which extracted the mail in ea. numbered *.mbx folder (I am surprised that had to use MBXtract whic I believe is for OE5, when I'm sure I had OE5).
    I have'm all in a given directory in my HD, where I reconstructed the name of local folders which have the messages *.eml .
    Can rebuild the old Local Folders structure from inside OE5, and they are named {folder name}.dbx , but cannot append the *.eml from before.
    All attempts trying to import failed.
    All attempts to drag & drop failed.
    Could somebody tell what I am doing (or did) wrong?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail restoration

let OE set up the folders for you, add any custom folders from the OE interface, then drop the eml files into the folders in OE.

also, what errors did you get on the attempts to drop the files in?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

If you find that you cannot restore manually, your mail might still be on the server. I found that when I re-installed OE, ALL the old mail that had been left on the server loaded in (it took several minutes). However, you have to have had the correct Options set in the Advanced section. You could also try (if you have it) installing Outlook - this did exactly the same thing. The converse to this is that when you are intending to (re-)install either of them and you don't want all your old mail, clear it off the server first.

Rgds

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks MaryJ for your reply.

1) I tried to import from inside OE5. The sequence was
    File>>Import>>Messages>>(Either OE4 or OE5)>>Browse to the folder where the *.eml are>>Error Message = "No messages can be found at this folder or another application is using them. Try new location or close the application(s) which have this files open".
    It didn't work....

2) I cannot drag and drop from

C:Recovered MailJohn Doe which has all mails received-sent with John in the last 2 years

into

WindowsApplication DataIdentities#s & XYZsMicrosoftOutlook Express

...because the folder has john.dbx.

I am starting to believe that the only way to get around this will be to re-forward to me all the extracted eml.
    The only drawback, it that I might have to repeat that forwarding about >300 times...:-(
    Thanks for your help.

By copy to MerC:
    Thanks for your reply also.
    I am afraid I don't understand your note.
    I don't need to recover mail, just to restore the same structure I had before with the old emails appended. Some of the mail is from over three years old.....
    Meanwhile, I changed ISP.
    Thanks for your help.
    Thanks again.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

don't try draging between file system files.

take the extracted eml files and drop them into one of the mail folder in the express interface. express will rebuild the dbx files with all the eml's in them.

just to be sure they are not corrupted, open a few in notepad and see if they are readable. eml files are plain text and as long as they don't have attachments included, with be readable in notepad.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks.
    I'll try tonight and let you know.

Daniel.

Lounger
    Thanks

Wonderfuuuuuuuuuul!
    It worked like a charm !!!!!!
    I dragged all the -*.eml into OE5, and, as you said, the application rebuilt the structure ; a new *.dbx with all the additions!

Thanks a 10^6 +1

Daniel