Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Moved .pst and Palm Sync (98)

OK, I decided to move my Outlook .pst folder to a new volume (hard drive partition) for space reasons. I was then forced to redirect each and every Rules Wizard item -- and I have plenty. Next, I was forced to recreate each and every Outlook Bar button. Done. Not fun, but not horrible.

Then, I decide to Hot Sync my Palm with my newly moved .pst file -- I sync my PalmVx to Outlook98 (yes, I am still living in the '90's). Oops, new twist.

The Hot Sync connection spits out new Message boxes saying that if I continue to Hot Sync I will have duplicate entries in Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and Notes. So, I click "No" to avoid each of these sub-programs from having duplicate entries. Now, of course, my Palm and Outlook are 'out of sync'.

So... I guess I must delete ALL my Outlook entries and then re-Hot Sync?? Or, I could just allow the Palm to 'over-write' Outlook??

Has anyone been down this path before? Any recommendations? Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Moved .pst and Palm Sync (98)

Have you reset Outlook to use the pst in it's new location?

Our rule is that Outlook always wins and our approach is to do a hard reset of the PDA, then sync up. Depending on the sync tool you are using you might be able to go into it and set up a one-time sync to have one side overwrite the other; if so, you should be OK after that. But I see some risk there and would personally do the hard reset.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

There is no reset in Outlook98. The only method I could find (from slipstick.com) was to simply move the .pst and then when Outlook can't find it, you have to direct it to the new location.

This method works fine -- except for the well-described problems with the Rules Wizard and Outlook Bar. Apparently they are essentially using "physical addressing" and not "logical addressing".

So Outlook is fine, but the Hot Sync realizes that the .pst file was moved and doesn't want you to duplicate your entries -- so it correctly tells you the problem. I was very pleased with this behavior, actually! I use the Pocket Mirror Syncing program provided by Palm.

A hard reset of the PDA is a rather difficult choice to make! I have a very full PDA with many add-on programs. Why can't I just use Pocket Mirror to have the Palm overwrite Outlook? Or, just wipe out Outlook's data and look the Sync program create new entries in Outlook?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think we're on the same track. I referred to a sync. tool because you didn't mention what you use before and it could have been DeskTop2Go, PocketMirror, Intellisync, etc. I believe PM will let you set up a one time session to overwrite Outlook. But I don't have it installed right now so I just going on memory.