New Lounger
    Thanks

IE 5.5 problem+has to close-fix?? (IE 5.5 /W2K)

Several times a week, I get a popup error message "Microsoft IE has encountered a problem and needs to close". When I click on it, it closes all IE windows and restarts IE bringing up my home page (natch) which means I lost whatever other IE windows I had going. (bummer). The error report always has the following info in it "ERROR DETAILS-IE has encountered an internal error. APPL NAME-iexplore.exe APPL VER-5.51 MOD NAME-jsproxy.dll MOD VER-5.0.2920.0 OFFSET-00002ce9". My local IT support has not been able to resolve. Any suggestions? Is it related to java script:? What's wrong? How to fix? Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: IE 5.5 problem+has to close-fix?? (IE 5.5 /W2K)

What service pack levels of IE & Win2k are you running? From jsproxy.dll properties it appears to be part of IE. I'd be sure the latest service pack is installed.

Joe
    Joe

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

One thing you might do is delete all your temporary internet files. You can also boot to DOS, depending on your Windows version & delete index.dat, which will be recreated when you reboot. I would delete all the history, too. Sometimes there can be a corruption which causes IE to crash.
    Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have IE 5.50 installed with SP2. Problem with just jsproxy.dll (can it be updated "stand alone") or all of IE? Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I do periodically (ok - more like randomly) delete my temp and history files but the problem also occurs randomly. As I said, once I close IE and relaunch it (without rebooting or deleting anything) it runs fine. Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

You'd have to update all of IE. You should never attempt to install a service pack for any product piece meal. There are many interdependencies that are not apparent from looking at individual modules. SP-2 is the most current for IE 5.5. You could try a repair or re-install of IE.

Joe
    Joe