2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Carriage Return Line Feeds (Word 2000)

I received a text file containing what I had hoped were record rows. However when I viewed the records I notice a Carriage Return Line Feed format code at the end of several fields (To include the column title row). This of course made the data from that field drop to the next line and then the next filed dropped down the the line below. So what I need to to do is strip the CRLF from the data rows. There are thousands of records. When I tried the search and replace wizard in word I could not identify the correct symbol to put in the search for box. Can anyone help me? I attached a file if that will help explain better. All data in the attachment is dummy.
    Attached Files Attached Files

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Carriage Return Line Feeds (Word 2000)

Bill

The character to search for is "^p" - lowercase and without the quotes.
    I had a look at your file, and think that it is going to be fairly tricky because of the various format and length changes.

As a suggestion - if you can always identify the start or end of a row by some clean characteristic (e.g. a piece of constant text) then it is worth doing a series of find replaces

First - change All paragraph marks to null
    Second - change the fixed text to itself with a leading (or trailing) "^p" to rebuild a paragraph structure
    Third - find a way to search for and remove any extra headings - possibly by 'learning' a Macro to find the heading paragraph, and then selecting the whole paragraph and deleting it. Step 2 may similarly nead a learn. (You cannot learn mouse clicks, but you can learn things like {Shift}arrow keys - e.g. {Home}{Shift/End}{Shift/Left})

HTH

Thanks

On the second line of those records, there is a huge whitespace. Is that composed of a predictable number of spaces? If so, you should be able to replace the paragraph mark followed by that predictable number of spaces with nothing (or with nothing plus some spaces, or with a tab). This would save you the double-replace on the "real" end-of-record markers.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry I was long in thanking you for your suggestions. Well done and thoughtful.