JustCallMeAl

Word 97/Windows XP(pro) anomoly (Word 97 SR2/Windows XP(pro))

With the new notebook computers being optimized to run Windows XP, we have had to shift from Win98 to XP. In the process, we are finding that we may have another little problem with the macros we have created.

So, I started testing.

As I ran one of our procedures, I got an error message on the "Left" command--a very, no pun intended, basic command. I have had this occur occasionally in the past, and making a reference to normal.dot has solved that problem.

When I attempted to make that reference, I received the error "Error Accessing the System Registry." I contacted one of our IS people, and he decided to change the XP rights to local administrator. When I tried the test again, it worked perfectly--no errors.

So the questions:

1. Have any others experienced similar problems?

2. Aside from making a person local administrator, have you discovered a solution?

Thanks for the assistance.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 97/Windows XP(pro) anomoly (Word 97 SR2/Windows XP(pro))

If your update to XP also included updating to Office X (or any update of Office versions), try checking the references in the VBE's Tools, References menu. You will probably find a MISSING reference to a previous version of MSOffice Library. Just remove that treference and set a reference to the version of Office installed.

Andrew C

JustCallMeAl

As I stated in the subject line, this is with Word97 and Windows XP. There was no update to any Office X elements.

I also stated that the error I received was when I attempted to make a reference, not that a reference was missing. In other words, it was when I clicked on Tools, References. At that point the error occurred.

Thanks

By Office X I think Andrew means Office 10.0, the internal version number for Office XP.

But... why would a reference to Normal.dot have anything to do with the Left()/Left$() functions?? These belong, according to the Object Browser in Office 2000, to:

Library VBA
    C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedVBAVBA6VBE6.DLL
    Visual Basic For Applications

Maybe adding a reference to Normal.dot provides access to this DLL indirectly, but I would think a direct approach preferable.

Added after posting: The version number of VBA in Word 97 was 5.something. Maybe it installed along a user-based path that differs between Windows 9x and Windows XP due to the latter's NT heritage? If so, you really should see MISSING in the Tools|References... dialog for the VBA library.

JustCallMeAl

The error to which my fourth paragraph in the original post and the second paragraph in the second post refers is when I click on References on the Tools menu drop down . It is not that something is missing. I can't even get that far. I get the error when I click on References on the Tools menu.

Thanks

Oh, I didn't realize that VBE refused to even display the dialog.

Turning to the issue of privileges, I fire up RegMon (from SysInternals) to run a test. First, I opened a Word 97 template on Word 2000/Windows 2000, then opened the VBE, then turned on RegMon and told it to track only winword.exe traffic, then hit Tools|References. After a good 10 seconds or so, the dialog opened. I hit cancel and flipped over to RegMon, where the ending line number was 30951. Skimming through the output, it appears that the VBE is attempting to look up every reference in the dialog in the Registry. (The resulting saved text file is over 4 megabytes!) Watching the results of running a Left command were not particularly instructive. Lots of parts of the Registry are touched. It looked as though they were all "Read" and not "Write" operations, though. Hmmm...

Obviously (?!) MS did not intend that one must be an administrator on a machine in order to run a Word macro. There must be something else going on that is locking the users out of these critical libraries. This is beyond my scope; I wonder whether it might be an appropriate question for the Windows NT/2000/XP forums?

JustCallMeAl

Thanks for your detailed analysis.

I have thought about the other forum, but since my first message, I have not been able to duplicate the problem, which makes it kind of hard to track down.