Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Broadband won't connect to the Lounge (Pro)

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this but I can't send messages to the lounge using my broadband connection. When I try to do so the page just hangs. I'm sending this page using my old dial-up connection. Has anyone else had problems with broadband connections?

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks

Re: Broadband won't connect to the Lounge (Pro)

Can you explain "sending messages to the Lounge"?

Can you view/browse the Lounge, but not post replies and/or new posts?

Are you using exactly the same browser when using broadband and dialup?

What browser are you using?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for replying Leif,

I can view/browse the lounge but I can't send messages or change my settings. In both cases I'm using Intenet Explorer as the browser. I've just typed this message while connected using broadband. The broadband connection goes through a router. I'll hit post and I expect the message won't be sent, so before I send it I'll copy it - I know I'll be able to send it using my old dialup connection.

Chris

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When I tried using the broadband connection I got a Page Not found message. I disabled the broadband connection and connected via dialup network hit the back button and the message was still there so I didn't need to copy in the text. I hit Post it and the message was posted.

In the other thread you asked me about how I use the connection and I think it's relevant here as well.

From inside the Control Panel if I open up Network Connections I get a list of connections. One of them is called 'local area Connection' - it connects to a router which connects to the Internet.. The 'local area Connection' reads as disabled. If I right click it I can enable it. I have a shorcut on my desktop. When I click that it enables the network. To unable the network I click the icon in the tray and select disconnect.

Chris

Thanks

Chris,
    ----------------------------
    Has anyone else had problems with broadband connections?
    ----------------------------
    I have DSL as I'm sure MANY other lounger's have and haven't had any connection or posting problems. Do you participate in any other forums? If so, any problems there? Have you checked the system requirements for the lounge and checked settings?

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Bob,

I've checked what settings I know about - I'm having the same problem. I can browse any forum but I can't post! Incidentally The connection type here in Japan is called ADSL - I think the A is for asymetric - downloading is quick but uploading isn't the same speed.

Chris

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

At home I'm on broadband (ADSL 512k) in the UK. I'll try that tonight and let you know. At work we have a KiloStream N connection, nailed up circuit, operating at 512k and thats no problem.... as you can see!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Doug,

I feel the problem may be the router. I'm also having difficulties sending email. This seems to be erratic. I have several email addresses and whenever I send something to myself there doesn't seem to be a problem - but when I send a 'real' email Outlook Express will sometimes refuse to send the email.

Incidentally what is 100 mbps - this is the reported speed of my connection but what does it mean.

Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

One thing that you should check is your Internet Explorer proxy settings. These are different for each connection, so you may have a difference between your broadband and dial up settings.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I should think its the speed of your network card to the router. 100 M illion Bits Per S ec.

Do you have a firewall set up? If so it may require some ports to be opened for particular protocols. Since I have several machines at home, I don't really bother with the firewall because Network Address Translation (NAT) affords me quite good security.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Stuart - the proxy settings appear to be the same.

Thnaks Douglas - I do have a firewall - I'm going to take it down and try posting this

Here goes!

Chris

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Seems that was it, Douglas - I've changed some settings in my firewall - I wonder whether this will go through?

Chris

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

But that wasn't - I have to disable the firewall to post messages. Does anyone have any ideas what firewall settings could be causing the problem. I'm using Keiro Personal Firewall. Is anyone else using this with an ADSL connection? Perhaps I should change to something else?

Thanks,

Chris

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I can't figure out what's up. I removed the Keiro Firewall and tried out Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro. I got nowhere with that. It wouldn't alow Internet Eplorer to connect to the Lounge even though I gave permission. After removing that I now have Sygate Personal Firewall installed - I'm trying out the Pro version. At first I thought everything was OK as it allows me to get through to the lounge using Internet Explorer but I have the same problem as with Keiro - I can't post messages. Moreover I ran the Stealth Scan test provided by Sygate and it informs me that some of its probes connected to my computer - suggesting my system is open somewhere. Inadequate protection and I can't post to the lounge!

I'm going to sleep on it. I hope to read some suggestions/ideas in the morning!

Please, this is now not only frustrating but also worrying.

Thanks, Chris,

PS Posted by temporarily allowing all..

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chris, Many loungers seem to be using Zone Alarm which is free at to use home. I should think someone will come to your aid as regards settings.

As promised, I am sending this from home through my broadband connection.

All the best..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast