Thread: Missing Menu

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Missing Menu

I have a second note book which has recently had a reformat and is running 'brand new' as it were. The problem is that I do not have the menu bar visible in any of the Windows windows. Ie, the File/Edit/View etc menu bar has gone. This is in Explorer, Control panel, IE etc. When the window opens I very briefly see a black bar where the menu should be, then nothing. Right click does not work, nor does Ctrl V et al. I have tried a repair of IE6 (SP1) but no joy. Reinstall of IE, no joy. Reinstall of windows-nothing. All other programmes are normal. I suspect from browsing MS KB and these forums it is IE that is the culprit and a registry fix is required. Anyone any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Missing Menu

<hr>...Reinstall of windows-nothing. All other programmes are normal...<hr>
    Let me make sure I've got this. Immediately after a CLEAN install of Win98, you can't see the menu bar in Window's windows? Makes me wonder - what are you using to do this Win98 install - a "normal" commercial MS CD or some OEM product? Or, does the problem start AFTER you've installed some additional software - if so, what? I've never seen or heard this problem before, so it's a challenge to both of us! I can't think of anything in the machine's BIOS that would cause a problem like this, but if you're up to it, a little look around in there to see what you see, might be in order.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

It's a legal CD with the 25 digit serial number. I have installed a couple of programmes (office/Irfanview/Autoroute) what I think i'll do is uninstall all the programmes one by one and see what happens.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

OK, we'll wait to hear from you again. You might also take a look in MSCONFIG, Startup to see if anything else has "snuck" in there that you might not be aware of, just in case.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Success!!
    I carried out a few uninstalls and then got bored with the constant reboots. I then had the idea to run SFC and it found 2 corrupt files, which I repaired using the Windows CD. These were: BROWSELC.DLL and SETUPX.DLL. The problem went away instantly without a reboot.

Time for a spot of lunch I think:-)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Good fer you!