Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shutdown (XP/2002)

Often when I shut Access down it's shut down under Task Manager Applications but MSACCESS.EXE is still running under processes & I can't restart Access normally until I've killed the process manually. I've tried all the shutdown methods I can think of & none consistantly kill the processes. How do I prevent this happening. TIA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shutdown (XP/2002)

Check your code. This generally happens because you have one of several coding issues. Here are two that can cause you problems:

1. You create object variables and don't explicitly destory them
    <UL><LI>You Dim dbs As DAO.Database object but forget to use Set dbs = Nothing at the end of the routine
    <LI>Your code bypasses the exit routine that would destroy the object variable, such as using an Exit Sub within the code.[/list]2. You use a control value as an implied boolean in a conditional expression instead of an explicit test or a forced evaluation
    <UL><LI>You use If Me!Checkbox Then instead of If Me!Checkbox = True Then or If (Me!Checkbox) Then[/list]Generally, object variables (variables populating using the Set keyword, should be explicitly destroyed. They should be destroyed automatically when they go out of scope, but VBA is a bit sloppy about that. It can cause you problems in Access unless you get in the habit of always destroying objects populated with the Set keyword.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response but neither possibility strikes a bell. I'm one of those Access users that has not yet had to get my figures dirty with real VBA. Everything I need to do so far has been done with 'standard objects'. Any other thoughts?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Standard objects? Are you using any code at all?
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

If I understand the question correctly, only macros & eg a tad to prevent a report opening if there is no data.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

What do you mean by a tad? In general, if you prevent a report form opening, it's some sort of event procedure that executes when the report presents the "No Data" event, so that is code. As well, if you are using any buttons on forms or the Microsoft switchboard, or a combo box for record navigation, there will be some code running. Was your database originally developed in Access 2002, or has it been migrated from Access 97 or 2000?
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK I do have buttons on forms & on switchboards tho' the buttons fire macros. I do use combo boxes for navigation. The db was first born in Access97 & migrated to 2000 & then XP. The shutdown problem is recent; certainly long after the migration to XP. In December I did a major rewrite but I can't associate the problem with anything particular & it's not consistant.