Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Com ports XP home

I'm having trouble getting online. My modem reports that it is working properly and that it is on Com 3. My Communications Port is listed as being Com 1. Is this apparent mismatch the likely cause of my trouble, or should I look elsewhere? If this is the problem, what is the best fix?

Thanks

Re: Com ports XP home

If I remenber my modem settings days correctly, Com1 & Com3 (and Com2 & Com4) share the same IRQ interupts, so your reports should be OK. I would think if you had a IRQ clash you wouldn't be able to get on line at all.
    You will have to be more specific as to what "trouble getting on line" means in your case. Exactly what happens or doesn't happen, do you get error messages?

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

They might share an IRQ, but they have different device addresses. I should think that this could well cause the problem described.

StuartR

Thanks

You might also want to go into Device Manager to see if there is any "yellow flags" showing a problem. This should show up problems such as Stuart mentioned.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Reformulated question attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It would be easier for people to help if you posted your text in the body of the message, rather than in a Word attachment that has text only.

I would start by going to Device Manager and deleting the modem, then allow the operating system to discover it again. I don't run XP home, so I'm not absolutely sure how you do this. Try right clicking on My Computer, selecting properties and look from there.

StuartR

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, but I wasn't sure that much text would fit into this box, and there's a timeout on composing messages while online. I'm not a frequent visitor.
    Deleting the modem and physically removing it and letting it rediscover it after replacing it after a reboot didn't help. Nor could I find any yellow flags.
    Maybe I should repost this in the Windows XP forum, or is that taboo?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> Maybe I should repost this in the Windows XP forum, or is that taboo?
    <!rule=14>Rule 14<!/rule> specifically prohibits cross-posting. Wait a bit and if no-one posts anything more helpful then you could post a brief description and a request for people to respond here.

StuartR

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Rule 14 appears to apply to the Lounge only, and the downtime for this computer has been scandalous. I intend to post a similar query to certain manufacturers' boards ASAP, but will monitor all and let everyone know if a solution is found.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It sounds to me like your modem is attempting to create a virtual (soft) com port, but isn't quite successful at it. Do you use com1 for anything? If not, try...
    1) removing it and the modem from Device Manager and
    2)disabling com1 in the BIOS.
    3)post back and let us know what happens.

It is likely that the modem drivers are not able to make com3 due to com1 using the same IRQ. When XP boots back up it should detect the new (same old modem) hardware.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

It detects it all right, and then freezes completely. No mouse response, and on rebooting it runs a scan of the disk.
    I admit I couldn't figure out how to disable com1 in the BIOS and simply disabled it in Device Manager.
    The machine is kaput. With the modem removed I now get as far as the Dell splash screen and it freezes.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

The panic is over for the moment. I restored com1 through safe mode and all is as it was before. Whew. (Still can't get dial-up.)
    Help came from a different source, and here's the fix, which worked like magic:

I had the same problem. There are some corrupted files in the registry. Here is the solution.

>Run: regedit
    >Select folders in the folllowing order:
    >-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    >-SYSTEM
    >-Current Control Set
    >-Services
    >-RasMan
    >-PPP
    >-EAP
    >-when you get to this point, you should see 4 folders (numbered 4, 13, 25, 26)
    >-DELETE: folders 25 and 26
    >-Reboot

When your system comes back up give it a moment to load then check your connection before creating another one because your old connection will still be there.