New Lounger
    Thanks

Network problems (SP1)

I'm having problems with an XP machine on my Win2k server network. Somehow, the XP machine thinks the server is at an address different than it actually is. If I ping the server by name, it looks to X.X.X.150 when it is actually at X.X.X.50. Similarly, it believes that another XP Machine is at X.X.X.151 when it is actually at X.X.X.1 I can set what address the server see the machine, but how can I change where the machine thinks the server is? Any ideas? Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network problems (SP1)

We need to find out how the systems are converting names to addresses...
    <UL><LI>Do you have a name server on your network?
    <LI>Is there a Hosts file on the XP system?[/list]StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Yes there is a DNS server at the X.X.X.50 address; there is a Hosts file but it is the default version with no custom entriesm, only samples. I'm also wondering whether my DSL router has any impact on this; I can't get to that piece right now but can look later when I'm home.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Many DSL routers have built in DHCP and DNS servers and you may be picking up your addresses from here instead of from your own DNS server.
    If you type ipconfig at a command prompt then the output should show the address of the DNS server you are using.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart,
    I believe that the router may be the problem. I just hadn't considered it until your reply made me think about it. I do have a copy of the configuration here at work and the X.X.X.150 is listed as the DHCP Server on it. I'll followup after changing it this evening. Thanks.
    Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

Followup: I was able to get this problem straightened out with the router config change. However, another problem has appeared. I can now reach all machiines from my XP machine i.e. connect, ping, etc., but I cannot reach this machine from one of the others. Both are XP OS. When I ping my machine by name it pings(knows) the correct address but will not return any data. If I ping by address, likewise it will not ping. I can ping the other direction. IOW, from X.X.X.4 I can ping/connect to X.X.X.2 by name and address. From X.X.X.2, I cannot ping X.X.X.4 by name or address. Shares are set, ICF is off, server config is right. What's stopping this?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Turn OFFthe MS WireWall.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

DaveA,

Please note that in my message I stated that the ICF (firewall) is off. I've had problems with this in the past, so I always check that. However, now that you mention it, I do have a PCCillin firewall on that machine. I had defined a safe range of IP addresses, but I'm now wondering if that range includes the non-connecting machine. That's something to check this evening. Thanks,

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

DaveA, StuartR,
    Thanks much for your help. All is well now. The final piece of the puzzle was the Trend firewall.

Steve