4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TOC Styles - how can I configure which ones I want (2k SR1)

Hi,

The attached scrn. shot shows TOC Options where you can tell Word whether to use a particular style or not.
    My Q. is, why does Word only select these (from the whole list)?
    How can you tell Word from the outset which ones you want?

My problem is that I don't want all these styles offered and Word keeps suggesting them to me. I have to spend time for every document, every time I want to generate a TOC to go and manually remove the entries.

Pls. advise - thanks,

m.q.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TOC Styles - how can I configure which ones I want (2k SR1)

In Access 97, all styles are displayed and you can't do much about that, as far as I know; if Word 2000 is different in this respect, someone else may have a suggestion. The styles that are checked are the styles that have an outline level set that falls within the range indicated in the TOC tab of the Index and Tables dialog. By default, the TOC is set for outline levels up to 3. Apparently, some of your styles, such as List and List Bullet 3, have been assigned outline level 3. If this occurs in every document, you should open Normal.dot and reset the outline level to flat text for all styles except Heading 1 through Heading 9. This will probably fix the problem for all new documents. You'll have to repeat this for all existing documents exhibiting the problem.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Musab:
    As Hans explained, Word picks these up because by default, it picks up the first 3 levels and so your styles probably have these levels. To control it, there are two ways:
    1. Go to Insert/Index & tables.../Modify/ & click on reset. You will be left with only the first 3 headings.
    2. Create a TOC using manual code. You can specify exactly what styles & levels you want to use. After you create it, SAVE IT AS AN AUTOTEXT ENTRY. From then on, you can insert these codes into any document quickly using the autotext.

The syntax for custom TOC levels is:

{ TOC o "StartNumber-EndNumber" t "StyleName,level,NextStyleName,level" }

where o "StartNumber-EndNumber" specifies the range of the standard heading style to be used; i.e. if NO special style or level is specified, it will create a TOC from whatever range is specified. Heading 1 can only be a level 1, Heading 2 at level 2, etc. e.g. "2-3" will create a TOC from Headings 2 & 3 only, at their respective levels.

t This switch allows you to specify which styles you wish to use in the TOC. It allows you to select nonstandard styles AND allows you to select standard styles (Heading 1 thru 9), but specify a custom TOC level (indentation).

For example, {TOC o "3-3"} will create a TOC of Heading 3 style only, & indent it in the TOC to level 3. However, if you wanted Heading 3 to be at level one, the syntax is: {TOC o "3-3" t "Heading 3,1"}

If you place "StyleNames,Number, after the t switch, it will use those styles & will place them at the level specified. The t switch overrides the range listed after the o switch.
    Cheers,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil, I have been working with ToC and ToA quite a bit lately and what I have done is make sure the default of format from template is showing and then I remove the Word generated Headings 1, 2, and 3 and select the styles I have created and mark them as 1, 2 or 3. That works almost perfectly. What does not work is the style does not retain its formatting after being generated. For example, if my style for Heading 1 wraps with a left indent in the document, it does not in the ToC. My style for Heading 2 has a 1/2 inch indent and then wraps left indent but it does not follow through in the ToC either. Any ideas about this?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jan:
    The TOC will pick up direct character formatting that is applied to your styles, but indents are controlled by the TOC1, TOC2, etc. style definitions. i.e. character formatting is controlled by the TOC style definitions (& whatever is hard coded). Therefore, change your TOC style definitions. Also, make sure that under Format/Style/Modify, that Automatically update is NOT checked.

Hope this helps.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much for your assistance. This was explained to me before but I just could not understand it. For some reason, after reading your post, I got it. I went home yesterday feeling that you made my day.