Thread: Boot up stalls

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Boot up stalls

My PC has a BE6-II motherboard with a 500MHz Celeron processor. The bus runs at 66 MHz. Recently I tried tweaking the Bios to see if I could speed it up - I set the bus speed to 100MHz, keeping the cpu speed the same. It wouldn't start up at all, so I reset the Bios with a jumper on the motherboard. Now when I switch it on it clicks and whirs for a bit, then stops dead - doesn't even show the video card sign on. But if I press the reset button, after a pause it starts up OK. This is a nuisance rather than a serious problem, but I would ike to know what is happening, Any suggestions?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Boot up stalls

When you reset BIOS did you leave the jumper on to clear Bios or just set and put jumper back to where it was ?The jumper only has to make contact for a few seconds to clear BIOS and then goes back to where it was. Is that the only jumper setting you changed? Did you check BIOS to make sure that BIOS settings had been reset to Default ? Just want to make sure BIOS was cleared by your action. Also if your going to set your bus speed up you may have to back off on your Multiplier. If you set your bus speed up and your multiplier remains the same you can overclock your CPU. {7.5 X 66 FSB = 495 MHZ} {7.5 X 100 FSB=750 MHZ} Your Celeron 500 MHZ won't run at 750MHZ . If your lucky and your Chipset & Motherboard will allow it (and CPU) you might get 550MHZ. But be careful you can fry your CPU without good cooling fans.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I totally agree with Cowboy.
    I would also reseat the CPU and or the Video Card. This will cause the BIOS to re "see" the parts and maybe do an internal reset.
    It has worked for me in the past.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help everybody. When I've got time to disconnect all the cables and take the case off, I'll try some of your suggestions.