Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Add button to (?) task Bar

This ought to be simple, but I can't see how ....

I'd like to add a one-click icon to the bar at the bottom of my screen.

Specifically, what I *think* is called the Task bar - at the extreme left is the START button, then some IE stuff I never use, then a block representing current applications, and at the Right-hand end, the system clock, and various icons for Quickres, Desktop and so on.

On my desktop itself I have a shorcut to an Access database (but could be any document), and I'd like to place an icon at the lower right-hand of my screen, nestling up against the system clock, so that a single-click on that icon will launch my database (or whever).

I'm aware that certain programs can place their icon in that position - EasyNotification, Mozilla, NoAds, Grisoft anti-virus etc)

I feel that I'm missing an idea as to where to obtain a "Create new icon" command.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Add button to (?) task Bar

It is called the "Quick Launch" toolbar. All one needs to do is to drag a icon to the Quick launch area.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sounds to me like you're describing the Quick Launch bar, Chris. Right-click on the task bar and select Toolbars as in my attachment. If you "turn on" Quick Launch you can put any shortcuts there and each will be a one-click'er.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> put any shortcuts there and each will be a one-click'er.

Thanks, Al, this did the trick - sort of.

The one-clickers are now in operation, but they are lodged in what USED to be a chunk of real estate at the LHS of the bar, now in the centre.

No sweat. I'll watch/play around with it today and see what happens.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by bigaldoc on 28-Jan-03 06:52. )</P>You can drag it to the right hand end of the task bar with its vertical "move" bar. It's sometimes a little tricky to do, but it works. One of the reasons I like to put it at the right end is that I can shove it over pretty far so the less used items are hiding. See attachment.

{Edited} Sorry, that screenshot was from my XP machine, not Win98. I didn't want to delete the post in case you've already gotten an email!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> You can drag it to the right hand end of the task bar with its vertical "move" bar

Orright!

Now, for bonus points, how do I get rid of the Internet Explorer icon? (and others), dragging it off the Toolbar doesn't seem to do the trick.

And is it my imagination, or are programs (such as Access97) actually launching FASTER from the quicklaunch toolbar than when I double-click on the desktop icon? I had assumed "Quick" referred to the one-click no-need-to-find-the-desktop method, but I'm wondering whether Win98SE is somehow optimizing the load process.

(later)

<pre>C:WINDOWSApplication DataMicrosoftInternet ExplorerQuick Launch
    </pre>

THAT's what I wanted to know all along.

Now I can drag in and out to my heart's content, AND modify the contents dynamically under application control. Ta Da! and Whoop-de-doo!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chris:
    You can also add & delete right from the toolbar. To add, just drag an application or document to the toolbar--Windows places a shortcut. To delete, right click a shortcut on the QL toolbar & choose Delete.
    Cheers,

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> To delete, right click a shortcut

Thank you! I don't know how I missed this. I was, perhaps, clicking on the tasks running over on the RHS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> It is called the "Quick Launch" toolbar.

OK. Thanks.

Now, for bonus points, what's the official name of the area to the RHS, the lower RH corner, where I see the system clock, my dial-up connection, and the other tasks quietly chewing up some of my 733MHz resources?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

System Tray, or SysTray for short.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Now that I have joined the rank of the Win98 QuickLaunch cognesceti (if I can say that), I am a qualified one-clicker, with shortcut icons on the QuickLaunch toolbar.

Never satisfied, I notice that the carefully assigned shortcut key combinations (Ctrl-Shift-D for Explorer, Ctrl-Shift-M for Eudora etc ) are no longer effective.

Right-clicking/Properties the icons on the QuickLaunch show that the shortcut key is assigned; re-assigning and rebooting doesn't make it active. It seems AS IF the shortcut key will be interpreted ONLY if the shortcut is sitting on the DeskTop proper.

Is this so?

(signed) "Aspiring to be Fully-Qualified One-Clicker" of Toronto.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The quick launch icon will stay active if you put the desktop icon into the start menu. Just drag it to "start". It will appear in the start menu but won't clutter up your desktop.
    Jack
    Jack

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Further to my post, the CTRL+ALT shortcut will also stay active if you put the desktop shortcut in the start menu too.
    I think that takes care of all your concerns.
    Jack
    Jack

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

BigAl, thanks for these two responses.

Of course, it works as you said, but I had to try something else.

I didn't want to clutter up the Start menu with shortcuts, so I created a folder within "C:WINDOWSStart Menu" and dragged the shortcuts to that folder. I now have a ShortCuts folder on the Start menu, and all the shortcuts fire up fine.

This is good.

Little by little we are shaving upwards of twenty-eight milliseconds a day off my workload (grin!). But best of all we are saving scads of time by me not clicking in the wrong place at the wrong time.