3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't Load Access (XP)

(At my office) I am using Windows XP and Office XP and suddenly yesterday which I attempted to open a file I received a message saying the file had caused a serious error the last time it was opened and did I want to continue. Regardless of whether I click Yes or No, I then receive a message saying "Microsoft can't load the Dynamic Link Library msjet40.dll; resolve the failure and try again". I tried another Access file and got the same message so it's obviously not a single file but that particular dll file.

Does anyone know what is happening here or how I fix it?

Thanks.

CD

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't Load Access (XP)

Have you tried the repair option of the installation (Office XP).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thought of that. Unfortunately, the boss's son (our IT guy) has the disk and has not responded to my email for assistance. I suggested to him in my message that if I had the disk I would use repair or reinstall but although he has read my message, he has not responded.

Thanks, though, as you have reinforced my thinking on this.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It sounds as though you either have a hard drive physical problem where a bad sector has occurred, or a logical disk error where sectors have been erroneously assigned. You will undoubtedly need to run a repair on the Office install, but I would suggest you do a scandisk before anything else to make sure you don't continue to have more and more problems. Good luck.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Another approach to get this dll is to apply the MicrosoftDataAccessCompentents (MDAC_TYP.exe). You could do a search at google with that as one of the keywords. Up to version 2.5 they included the jet files, however if a higher version is already is already installed then this won't help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

To reiterate my problem, as it's been a while since I posted it:

Problem Description: I have Office 2000 Professional with Windows ME at home; I have Office XP Professional with Office XP at work. I have developed several Access databases that I bring back and forth as I use them in both the office and to do work at home. The home version is working just fine. Suddenly, about two weeks ago when I attempted to open the Access database on the XP machine at work I got a message saying a serious error had occurred; did I want to continue. Regardless of whether I clicked Yes or No, I then got a message saying that msjet40.dll was missing and had to be reinstalled. I called my boss' son as he maintains our machines. He came to the office and first did tried to just do a fix; that did not work. He then reinstalled Office XP. That did not work.

All other software (Office and otherwise) works just fine. However, I cannot use my Access databases - none of them work. It's as though I didn't have Access on the computer.

My boss' son doesn't seem to know how to fix this problem and said he will research it and get back to me.

I am attempting to fix this problem myself as I don't think this guy understands that I use Access constantly throughout the day and this is a major pain in the butt for me not to have it available to me.

You made the suggestion that: Another approach to get this dll is to apply the MicrosoftDataAccessCompentents (MDAC_TYP.exe).

Can you explain more fully what I should do once I download this file? How do I know I have the right one? If it was my own computer I would feel a lot easier possibly blowing something and having to start from scratch. I have to be certain what I do is the right thing to do at the office.

Any help you can give me will sure be appreciated.

New Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by charlotte on 22-Feb-03 07:32. to activate link)</P>If you use Windows XP you have the version 2.7 of MDAC, and Jet isn't anymore in MDAC.
    You can try to install sp 6 for jet that you can find here: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=282010.

If you still have the file msjet40.dll in C:windowssystem32.
    You can also try to open a command prompt in c:windowssystem32 and type : regsvr32 msjet40.dll <enter> this will register again the dll.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Right click the file, look at the properties specifically version number. You want 2.5 and then other numbers. If it is 2.6 or 2.7 then it is too new a version and does't have the jet components.
    To apply it just double click and reply yes to the prompts.