2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Newbie Questions . . .

Hi,

I wonder if someone could point me to a resource that will give me an overview of the current generation of handheld devices that are available. There are so many products it seems, so to wade through reviews at ZDNet for example is a bit overwhelming.

I have a Palm V out of the ark which has served me well for addresses, phone no's, notes, etc, but with 2 Mb of RAM I have never really bothered loading many apps. Even the Palm Vx with 8 Mb is very limited.

What I ultimately want as a replacement for my Palm is a device that I can connect to my GPS receiver to log data as it is far easier to use in a car than a notebook PC. There is some software available called OziExplorerCE that will do exactly what I want.

Now to really show my ignorance :

- What is a Pocket PC vs a PDA or are they different jargon for the same thing ?
    - Has Windows CE been replaced by the Pocket PC 2002 O/S, or are they both still current ?
    - Does WinCE software run on the Pocket PC 2002 O/S ?

Finally, has anybody used the Dell Axim X5 ? Apart from being quite large compared to some of it's competitors, any comments ?

TIA,

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Newbie Questions . . .

It's all pretty daunting isn't it? I'd like to find the same kind of site as you and am interested in others' suggestions. I don't have one. My 2 cents on your questions:

1. A pocket PC is just one type of PDA, just as a Palm. It's kind of like Intel vs Apple. Both are personal computers.

2. WinCE has been replaced by 2002 OS. I'm not aware of any new models that run on anything but 2002. But you'll still see lots of references to pocket PCs as WinCE devices. In this case they are refering to the architecture not the OS.

3. You'll see some applets written at the time of WinCE that are said to be compatible with 2002. The only two I've tried were buggy and would hard hang my iPAQ. I don't know if it was buggy software or incompatibility with the OS.

4. We have 5 Dells in the company at the moment. (375 Palm and 82 Pocket PC devices too). The users had iPAQ 36xx or 38xx before. They love their Dells. The only problem we had was getting the USB drivers installed with Activesync to install on WinXP Pro. Once that was solved there have been no issues reported.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that - let's see if some kind person can point us to a site.

I can see my next problem will be finding the right cables to link whatever device I settle on to my GPSr which has a 9-pin serial on the end of it's data cable . . .

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Usually the GPS vendors provide adapters like that. If not, there's always Radio Shack Good luck!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Adrian--

There are a lot of sites--you can search engine for them. These should get you started for getting context on Pocket PC's--some of my favorites. Check some out and get a feel for them. Many of them allow you to search reviews of individual Pocket PC or Windows OS PDA's and compare features. Also Pocket PC Mag and the Hand Held Computing Mag Group are in all the book stores and picking up a couple are hitting their sites will help you. Of course for features of each individual brand like the ipaqs or Toshiba e series, you can go to the maker's site .

Pocket PC Mag List of Best Pocket PC Sites
    Pocket PC Passion
    Brighthand
    Dave's PDA Page
    Microsoft Mobile Devices Site
    PDA Buzz
    PDA Utilities
    Pocket PC Thoughts
    Microsoft Pocket PC Tutorials
    Pocket PC City
    Mobile Planet

Hope this helps.