2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shut down stalls

I have recently reinstalled Windows 98 2ed. in 2 machines (P3, 450MHz, 128 MB). It was actually an upgrade from Win 98.
    I reformatted the hard drive and reloaded all the applications also.
    The PC applications are running fine but when the PCs are shut down, they randomly appear to hang at the Windows shutting down screen. I eventually manually power the machine down. This happens on both machines.
    Can anyone indicate where I might begin to look to get a handle on this problem and solve it?
    Thanks
    Norman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shut down stalls

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by bigaldoc on 28-Jan-03 17:03. To Add MS Link)</P>Oh boy, it's been a long time since I've thought about this one. Even AFTER Win98SE was published, Microsoft had a shutdown patch available at their web site that had been (at that time) already been updated a couple of times. I'll go see if I can find if it's still there, but you might want to look also. Search on "shutdown patch" or just "shutdown" and see what you can find. If I find it, I'll come back here and post the link.

Edited to add: Win98SE Shutdown Patch

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very very much for the directions. I am going to start following them up.
    Norman

Lounger
    Thanks

Hey Big Al,

Nifty patch, I have found that hanging on shutdown has been a random yet fairly routine problem since early on with my 98SE machine. No problems today and yesterday after installing the patch, I'm hoping the fix will "take." I checked out Microsoft's laundry list of recommendations to try before installing the patch (the "first see if it's one of these problems" list) but quit after determining that the "Disable fast shutdown" box was already checked. All of the troubleshooting recommendations are predicated on the assumption that the system hangs each time you shut down, so it would take just about forever to test each one and then see if the intermittent shutdown problem returned.

I was wondering if this patch might work on our other computer which is WinME. It also hangs pretty often on shutdown and I've read that WinME is based on Win9x architecture or the Win9x kernel or whatever the right way to say it is.

Do you know whether this patch (or another one) would be compatible?

Thanks,
    Sat Kartar

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Norman:
    In addition to the patch that Al has shown you, there's also a useful set of tips available from Jim Eshelman
    http://www.aumha.org/a/shutdown.htm
    http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnse.htm
    http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnme.htm
    http://www.aumha.org/kbshtdwn.htm
    that you can try. As Microsoft has noted, any suggestion to replace the CONFIGMG.VXD file should be ignored -- replacing .VXD or other key system files manually is only for the brave or reckless.

Cheers,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You'd have to go back to the MS empire and look for that answer. I'm afraid I don't know whether the 98 patch would work with ME. I would think not, but I'm guessing.....