Lounger
    Thanks

Slow opening of Office file (OE 5.0)

Hi,

One of our members writes:
    "I'm having a weird problem with OE5.0. When I have OE open, any time I try to open an office file (Excel, Access, Word), it takes almost exactly 30 seconds for the program to open, and another 30 seconds for the document to appear. If OE is closed when I try to open the office file, the program and file both come up in about 1-2 seconds. If OE is open and I open a file, and it hanging there for its minute to pass and I then close OE, the document appears right away. So I find myself opening an office file, realizing that it's going to hang there for a minute, switching to OE and closing it, letting the document open and then opening OE again. Yuck! And if the document is an attachment to an e-mail message that I'm opening, I just have to wait the minute, because OE and all of its windows "hang" while the document is opening. I haven't researched all of the details, but I can open a file with notepad, wordpad, acrobat reader (as well as most other non-office programs) without any delay. When I open an .html file, I incur the delay. But when I just start the programs (Word, Excel, etc.) without a document, it opens without a delay. And if I open a file from the File menu, there is no delay! But if I double-click on the file in Windows Explorer or on the desktop, I get the delay. There is obviously some interference that OE is providing, maybe some sort of network time-out? I have seen this on different computers here in our office, so it's not just a problem with one computer. I believe they are all Win98SE computers with Office 2000 Pro, Internet Explorer 5.0, and we are connecting to a Win2000 server running CommuniGate Pro (the default FieldMail installation), and I've seen this problem when OE has either an IMAP or a POP3 account open.

Any ideas?"

TIA for your help.

Bob Wahlen

Thanks

Re: Slow opening of Office file (OE 5.0)

Install more memory and try again.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow opening of Office file (OE 5.0)

Hi,

Our member writes:
    "I have 96MB, running Win98SE... I think that should be sufficient. And it
    is so night and day: Outlook Express running: 30 seconds to open the
    program, 30 seconds to open the document; not running: opens almost
    immediately. It has to be some sort of network timeout or something.

Try again?"

TIA for your help.

Bob Wahlen