4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel from Access (Access/Excel 2000 (9.0.4402 SR-1))

I'm using VBA automation to "run" Excel from an Access VBA module. The basic framework is the following:
    <font face="Georgia">
    Dim appExcel As Excel.Application

On Error Resume Next
    Set appExcel = GetObject(, "Excel.Application")

blnNeedToQuit = False
    If Err Then
    Set appExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
    blnNeedToQuit = True
    End If
    On Error GoTo 0

<Excel automation code using the appExcel application object>

If blnNeedToQuit Then appExcel.Quit
    </font face=georgia>
    Everything seems to work fine except that when I'm done, there's still an instance of Excel lurking on the system (it appears in the Close Program window when I press Ctrl-Alt-Del). If I don't "End Task" for Excel (and sometimes when when I do), Windows becomes unstable, particularly if I try to open Excel again ("manually" or through automation).

This appears to be a problem only when Excel isn't already running (i.e., Excel is launched with the CreateObject method and the appExcel.Quit method is used to close Excel).

I'm running Windows 98 Second Edition (4.10.2222 A).

What do I need to add to (or change in) my automation code to make Excel quit more gracefully?

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Excel from Access (Access/Excel 2000 (9.0.4402 SR-1))

I believe what you need to do is to destroy the OLE object to make it completely go away. In code

<font color=blue> <font face="Georgia">set appExcel = Nothing</font face=georgia> </font color=blue>

You may also need to change your code to read

<font color=blue> <font face="Georgia">If blnNeedToQuit Then appExcel.Application.Quit</font face=georgia> </font color=blue>
    but try it first the way you have it.

If you don't do this, you end up creating memory leaks which will cause Windows to become unstable. To see an example of this check out Technet Article 210148.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel from Access (Access/Excel 2000 (9.0.4402 SR-1))

Thanks Wendell!!

<font face="Georgia">Set appExcel = Nothing</font face=georgia> seems to be sufficient.

"Nothing" to it, right? Seems obvious, now that you mention it. I'd seen this in the Help code examples, but overlooked including it and promptly forgot about it. Ah, old age is so wonderful!