New Lounger
    Thanks

Locked up database (97)

We were running our database off of the Network when suddenly the network connection broke off. Access gave error messages that it could not find tables, etc. and then closed on the local machine. After re-establishing the Network connection, we are unable to get into the database because Access is saying that it is exclusively opened by ADMIN on (machine name). Any ideas on how to get back in or close the database out on the Network?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Locked up database (97)

In the network directory with the backend there should be a file with the same name but extension of ldb. Try deleting that.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'd already tried that and got a sharing violation message that prevented me from deleting it. I've also tried importing the tables into a new database and got the message about being opened exclusively.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I guess your backend is possibly corrupted. This exclusive open problem will likely stop you doing a repair from Access. There is however a utility, jetcomp.exe, that can repair databases without having to open them. That may get the problem sorted out.

2 Star Lounger
    Emerald Beach, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by charlotte on 30-Jan-03 06:29. to activate link)</P>There is a product called WhoHasIT (for Novell) that displays any record locks held on a file and allows termination of the connection (assuming that you have sufficient network rights). There is also a NT version called WhoHasItNT .

I used to use this all the time in my last contract when inexplicable locks on files occurred. It's also handy for providing info on who has a file open. There is a demo version available for download at http://www.gadgetfactory.com

If your problem is a lock on the file this should get you out of trouble.

Stewart