Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Simple VB Script to make IE 'reload'

I need the simple script that make IE reload itself (reread the registry).

I want to make a script that does two things:

1) Make a registry modification
    2) Force IE to reload to make that registry modification active.

The code "window.location.reload()" won't do it. That ONLY reloads the page (i.e., Refresh). I need IE to reread the registry and essentially "refresh" its registry settings.

I had a similar issue in the past with getting "Work Offline" to work. You cannot just modify the Work Offline registry entry for it to work -- iexplore.exe must reread the registry and reload itself for the changes to take place.

There must be something -- some VBScript -- that will make IE do this.

3 Star Lounger
    Sydney, Australia, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Simple VB Script to make IE 'reload'

Yikes. You sure you want to do this? I'm sure if you can do it, every hacker in the world will want to know how...
    So here's how: You can make registry changes by 'running' a .REG file. Look up help on cmd /c option to apply a .reg file.
    I don't know how to force any application to re-read the registry; the simplest way I know would be to close (end) the application and restart it.
    Peter

Thanks

Re: Simple VB Script to make IE 'reload'

I assume you are going to run this from a downloaded VBS file, and not in the web page. The security model should prevent you from scripting the WSH even from a "trusted" zone.

If you already have IE open, then you make a registry change, then you start a new instance of IE (e.g., from Start>Run or a desktop shortcut or a Quick Launch), does that re-read the registry for the new window? That's as close as I imagine one could get, but perhaps there would be a way to reload the content from the last-viewed window into the new window. Just speculation, I'm afraid.

Afterthought: I think you posted a solution on the IE board for this a while back and we mods failed to cross-link and lock this thread. Oh well...