New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2002 Attachment problems (Win XP Pro Office XP Pro all updates app

Hi, I'm new here and I hope you can help me. I'm the computer guy for my office and I've found something that has stumped me.
    Recently my office got all new XP Pro machines from dell. I applied all the latest SPs and patches for Windows and Office. Before switching machines my boss sent out multiple attachments to multiple recipients no problem. Now they get it turned into winmail.dat or their machine thinks it's chinese or they just don't get it.
    Someone suggested that it might be the add on code that Outlook adds to office documents, so I unchecked the "Add properties to attachments
    to enable Reply with changes" checkbox in outlook advanced email options. Any ideas? If you need more information, let me know.

Also, another issue that I've run into that you might be able to help me with. Occasionally, outlook installs a component (it doesn't say what it is) upon starting the app and asks for the CD. It's not a problem but it's annoying to have to find the CD each time. Is there a workaround other than storing an image of the CD locally?

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Outlook 2002 Attachment problems (Win XP Pro Office XP Pro all updates

Message format is being received as RTF (rich text) AKA as TNEF by a mail client that can't parse it. Possible causes:

(1) User is using Rich Text format when composing.
    (2) Recipient's contact record says to send as RTF (the exact wording of this in XP I don't know).
    (3) Exchange Server changing the format on the way out.

Regarding asking for CD, others know better than I.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hmm....the RTF format idea makes sense but we're not running an exchange server. Also, can you explain how the RTF setting would change/mangle/delete attachments?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I will address the second part of your post.

1. If you are in a corporate environment, you should get an enterprise version of Office XP and do an administrative installation of Office. Then you install Office XP from the administrative installation. (If you are in an active directory environment (Win 2000 server / win 2000 or XP workstations, you can install/maintain/update Office XP without touching the PCs). Then if a PC ever needs a file for a new feature or for fix/repair, it grabs it from the server.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/techinfo/d...ent/default.asp This is a good starting point for more information on admin installs and managing Office XP.

NOTE: You can NOT do an administrative installation of an OEM or Retail version of Office XP. If someone from says you can, they are wrong. I have had a couple of mail order companies tell my clients that you can do an admin install from OEM. Quoting from MS KB article 281934. "Creation of administrative installation images is supported only in Enterprise versions of Microsoft Office XP."

2. IF you are installing from retail or OEM copies, don't do a standard installation. Do a custom install and install pretty much everything! I generally do not install "alternative user input" (voice and hand writing recognition) unless I know the user needs it. This will avoid the problem of install on demand. The standard installation has quite a few items listed as install on first use.

Thanks

It's not so much that RTF format mangles them, it's that the recipient's mail client can't properly tell where the various parts of the message begin and end. If you go to Google and search for winmail.dat you can get more detail than you ever wanted. What mail software are the recipients who can't get the attachment(s) using?

You definitely can send RTF without having Exchange, so you have only ruled out #3. See if you can rule out #1 and #2.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Darryl.
    That was informative. The number of users I'm supporting is very small and we don't have Active directory running. The installation of Office XP in question is not OEM but an a custom Enterprise install that I did myself and I made sure to install EVERYTHING. This Outlook component thing has happened to me on my home machine as well. I haven't seen it on any machines other than ones I use. Perhaps it's due to something else I did. I use easycleaner to clean out my unnecessary files and registry entries...maybe it's pulling an Office reg entry when I run it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

jscher 2000,
    I went into my boss's Outlook and turned her composition type to plain text and turned Outlook's conversion feature to plain text as well. We'll see how that works over the several days. I'll check her contacts and see if they're listed as needing to receive RTF. I know my boss wouldn't have checked that cause but maybe it defaulted.

Thank

Thanks

> I went into my boss's Outlook and turned her composition type to plain text and turned Outlook's conversion feature to plain text as well.

Not sure about the conversion point. If you mean you set Encoding to "None" (instead of Quoted Printable or base64), Plain Text messages sent this way will "wrap" and break long URLs. Other than this, I agree it's the "least hassle" setting. On rare occasion, a server will return a conversion error with this combination, which can be worked around by using base64 encoding (see <!post=Post #17090,17090>Post #17090<!/post>). However, some spam filters are suspicious of base64 encoding because it is viewed as a possible way to evade filters that can't understand the encoding. So... the best you can do is minimize the number of issues, you can never solve them all!

> I'll check her contacts and see if they're listed as needing to receive RTF. I know my boss wouldn't have checked that cause but maybe it defaulted.

Sometimes this setting seems to be embedded in the sender's address on a received message, or inferred from the RTF format of the message, so if she right-clicked to add them to her Contacts or Address book, it could well have come along for the ride.