Lounger
    Thanks

page numbers/2 per page (Office 2000 SR1)

When we put 11x17 foldout pages in our documents, we usually have to make each count as 2 pages. We've been putting section breaks between pages and hard typing #'s in the footer, such as 1/2, then 3/4, 5/6, and so on. Is there any way to put 2 sequential #'s on the same page, then have following pages with 2 numbers correctly number sequentially? I'd appreciate any help.

Nancy Potter

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: page numbers/2 per page (Office 2000 SR1)

All you have to do is select the number of pages per sheet. See attachment, lower right corner.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Andrew Lockton on 30-Jan-03 15:33. increased blood supply to brain)</P>Not that I know of. It sounds like an odd thing to ask for - who sets these specifications that you must adhere to?

You could play around with odd/even page section breaks but I think the best option would be to follow that section with twin new page section breaks and throw the extra page that comes out. In the footer of the foldout section you could use two fields for the page numbering
    {Page}/{={page} + 1} which would be fine for a one page section but the maths gets tricky if there are multiple consecutive foldouts in the one section.

Having thought harder on this - since you will want TOCs, Indexs and page numbers of subsequent sections to also be correct, you should throw a blank page after each of these foldouts and use the field numbering shown above for the relevant section. When you print, just throw away those blank pages.

I did come up with the maths for the field codes but it won't be needed now as there are drawbacks with that method in relation to TOCs etc.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks

thanks, I'll give it a try. Some of our proposals are page limited, and in that case, the Request for Proposal comes with instructions as to font size, page margins, etc. and you have to comply. I guess the feeling is this is a good way to keep everything to a bare minimum.

Nancy

Lounger
    Thanks

Nancy,
    I am assuming that you want to insert occasional 11x17 pages into your document to handle large dwgs or tables, need to count that as two pages, and then continue with correct page numbering on the subsequent 8 1/2 x 11 pages.
    I thought that the LISTNUM or SEQ fields might be able to replace the PAGE field, but no such luck. I noticed that the "2 Pages per Sheet" choice applies to the whole document only, and therefore doesn't solve the problem.

I suggest the following approach to see 3/4, etc as the page number(s).
    In your 11x17 page footer, next to the {PAGE} field, insert the "/" char followed by the following field combination:
    {= {PAGE} + 1}
    This displays a number one greater than the current page number.
    Immediately following each 11 x 17 page, insert an 8 1/2 x 11 page, having text "DISCARD THIS PAGE". This would allow subsequent page numbers to be correct.
    With this approach, page numbers are automatically adjusted. Even though you must discard some paper, you at least don't have to go back in and enter fixed numbers for pages and restart page numbering following the 11 x 17 pages.

Hope this helps,

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Nancy:
    One way:
    For the two sets of page numbers, use:
    { = 2*{ PAGE } - 1 } for the left hand page, &
    { =2*{ PAGE } } for the right hand page.

Make sure the header/footers have the link broken for same as previous.
    Cheers,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Phil

I thought of that too but there will be problems if
    a. you need a TOC to stay correct
    b. There are sections in front of and/or behind that section

I came up with a field code which would work if this section was the last in the document but the page numbering would go bad after the current section and the TOC would be wrong.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Andrew:
    You're right! I hadn't thought that far ahead. I can think of a way to get around numbering other sections after the "foldover" section. You could bookmark the number of sectionpages and use it in an equation for subsequent pages. I'd have to play with that a little. However, I don't see a way around the TOC issue. As far as Word is concerned, the two pages are really one page. Although page numbering is a section property and there are ways to display more than one page numbering system, I don't think you can make the TOC use a different numbering system in a different part of the TOC.

It's too bad that you can't force Word to use different page numbering systems in the TOC (i.e. several different ones in the same TOC).