New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 2K Server in a NT4 domain

I'm having problems getting Win 2k recognising logins on a MS SQL 7 server from my NT4 domain.

The Win 2k machine is part of the domain and allows me to login to it with NT authentication but when I come to add new users to the SQL Server it says it can't verify the user and will only let me setup local users.

Any idea's anyone.

Many thanks

Phil

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Win 2K Server in a NT4 domain

Phil,
    Upon which machine does SQL Server reside? How is user authentication configured in SQL server?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

The SQL Server resides on Win 2K and is setup for NT Authentication. We are the SQL onto a more powerful server and Win 2K. We have managed to port all the existing users across but can't setup new ones as the Win 2K server doesn't recognise the NT authentication.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, I have no experience with MS SQL 7...or any other version of SQL server, however, the first thing I would look at, is the service...the actualy SQL Server service. What account is it using to run as? Try setting your network Admin account as the account, as a test to see if that fixes things.

There is also a hidden 'channel' that NT servers (and 2000 servers) use to communicate with each other. I think the program you use to check/reset that channel is NetDom. You may have to download it from Microsoft. If you can't find anything about netdom, let me know, and I'll go find the right command name.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Phil.
    What are the service pack levels of Win2k, SQL server, & NT 4.0?

Joe
    Joe