4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Attempt to read A: on startup

Recently, when I start up my system, during the startup there is a prolonged attempt to read a disk from A:. It stops immediately if I put a floppy in the drive. How can I eliminate this? Does this do any harm to my drive.

The only recent changes that I can recall are the un-install of MSM Messenger.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Attempt to read A: on startup

What USUALLY causes these seeks of the floppy drive are the fact that somewhere in your operating system "most recently used" (MRU) lists is an entry for the A: drive. Probably some file you loaded or saved, or some action a piece of software you're using took on its own. One place to start looking is the Start Menu, Documents entry to see if you can spot anything there. If you're up to the task (and/or experienced at this) you can use Regedit to search for "A:" in the registry and delete what you find. Be careful - I don't want to send you on a mission that could cause harmful impact. Usually, if you find such an entry in the registry, it WILL be located in an MRU list somewhere. Come back if you want to chat more about this.....

By the way, I just remembered that some software, like virus checkers and the like, will try to check the floppy drive for a diskette on either startup or shutdown. That kind of activity can usually be turned off in the software's "preferences."

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am not sure if I am going where I should. I opened the Start button, then Programs, then StartUp. The only thing there is Office StartUp. Nothing happens when I click the Office StartUp. I also tried Start, Settings, Task Bar and Start Menu, but that is not what I am looking for. Sorry for my lack of experience in this. I get confused with this StartUp stuff. Where do I find the MRU list?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See if this screenshot helps guide to where I was talking about. I've cropped the image to save space, but it should show you where I meant. If this doesn't help you find the culprit, check the preferences stuff I mentioned in software you use frequently.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There is a list that shows 15 programs. I presume that is the MRU list. The top item is a batch file that writes to the A: drive. Could that be the problem? Can I just delete that item?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hoorah! As one famous actor said: "By Jove I think he's got it," or something like that. Yes, you should be able to right-click the item and select DELETE.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I deleter the reference to the batch file, and now the first one on the list is a .doc file; however, it still attempts to access the A: drive. Where can I see what the PC tries to open when it starts? This problem was not occuring before, so I don't think it is a problem with Word or Quicken or such.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try deleting ALL of the entries on that Documents menu entry. After all, you're only deleting a MRU list, not the documents themselves. Right-click on the task bar, select properties and see this attachment. Let us know what happens. I fear it may STILL be something somewhere else in your registry and I'm reluctant to suggest you get in there and monkey around if you've not had experience at that yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Make sure that your Anti-Virus software is not trying to scan the A: drive at boot up.
    Legare Coleman

Thanks

Are you referring to when you first switch on your PC, or as the operating system (ME) starts to load?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This happens when the OS loads, right after the screen is populated with icons and such. I checked the Norton Anti-Virus, and there is no indication of checking the floppy drive on start-up.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have an impression that your level of experience might make searching through the registry a possibly risky proposition. So, the only thing I can think of right now is for you to check the settings and preferences of OTHER applications that you have used recently. Even though you have (I assume) gone ahead and deleted all the recent documents from the Start Menu, there could be a program that has some setting in it for checking the floppy drive. Maybe you've even installed something from the A: drive recently, although that's rare these days.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Done!!! When I deleted the MRU list, the problem vanished. I am not sure why the presence of a program in the MRU was causing the problem, but it is fixed now. Thank you all.