New Lounger
    Thanks

Time an Inactive Cursor (VBA Word 97)

We have been having problems getting some people to shut down their systems at the end of the day, and some of the documents left sitting on their screens are of a confidential and private nature. Is there some way in VBA to get a macro to automatically kick in after the cursor has been dormant for a certain amount of time - say an hour - and either save the open documents and shut down the computer OR activate a password protected screen saver?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Re: Time an Inactive Cursor (VBA Word 97)

I suppose users could disable it, but the Windows screen saver works for me. That, fortunately, doesn't require any special programming, except perhaps a one-time change through the logon script if visiting the workstations is impractical.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Some people don't use a screen saver and those that do, don't always have it password protected. I am wondering if I can force the issue by either invoking a macro to activate a password protected screen saver or to save all the open documents and shut down the system. Is that possible?

Thanks

I think there have been some threads here before on timers in Word macros, and/or monitoring activity (keystrokes, primarily, I think). Such a macro could close documents, but how would it know whether to save changes? If the arm of the chair rotated over the keyboard and filled the document with a billing useless characters, one might not want to save that... usually the annoying keyboard buffer overflow noise tips someone off...

If you go screen saver, the Windows board for your predominant flavor of windows probably would be the best place to ask how to push out mandatory screen saver settings to all users.