New Lounger
    Thanks

remove stored proxy password (6)

We use a proxy server to access the Internet. I have clicked the box to "save this password". I need to remove the stored password. Please tell me there is an easy way to do this. I have Win XP Pro (not SP1) in a Win2K domain and IE6. Also, I remember in Win98 that there was a regedit to disable the check box. Is there a regedit for WinXP Pro?Thanks in advance for the help...Neil

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: remove stored proxy password (6)

Go to "Tools, Internet Options" then the Content tab, and then Auto complete.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dave, I appreciate the help, but that option only clears passwords for websites that you visit. The password that I need to clear is the proxy logon box, which pops up even before you are allowed to visit a website...Neil

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Can you give us a picture of the Proxy logon box? Is this some specific Proxy that your work installed -- or what exactly is this?

I don't see any place for a password to be entered in any of the routine IE proxy settings.

Edit: image sent to me by email and posted below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

OK, then the Password is LIKELY stored in your registry in the Protected Storage System section. It is a little difficult to locate exactly what you want in there -- but sometimes is can be done.

First off, let's see if a third party program can help us. I don't really know where the Proxy Passwords are stored, but they may be located using this program:
    Protected Storage PassView
    It is worth a try.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I used to have a post where I described the various sections of the PSSP (Protected Storage System Provider) keys in the registry -- but of course, I cannot find it now that I need it.

Briefly, it is here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftProtected Storage System Provider

Then, under this are sub-keys for various users: +Default+, +Local Machine+, and then any actual "user names" on your computer. These sub-keys hold much of the AutoComplete data that windows uses. However, most of the data is encryted and difficult to decipher.

For each user there are usually Data and Data2 sub-sub-keys. The "Data" one contains some or all of the following:

14d96c20... - InfoDelivery - Subscriptions
    220d5cc1... - Identification - INETCOMM Server Passwords
    4d1fa410... - Cryptographic Keys - (RSA Signature Keys & RSA Exchange Keys)
    89c39569... - IdentityMgr - Identities - IdentitiesPass
    e161255a... - Internet Explorer

This last one (e161...) holds the "Forms" AutoComplete data -- but I think it also contains some of the User Name and Password data as well. Drill down to the "http" section and check it out. I believe that the "PassView" program calls these "AutoComplete Passwords".

The first one (14d9... "InfoDelivery") must hold information on "Subscriptions" to various web pages -- I never use that function.

The second one (220d... "Indentities") seems to hold your Email user names and passwords. The "PassView" program calls these "Outlook Express Passwords" -- even though some of mine are for Outlook...

The third one (4d1f... "Cryptographic Keys") must be some how used for encypted sites (??Secure Socket Layer??) -- I really don't know the function of this one.

The fourth one (89c3... "IdentityMgr") is essentially un-used on my machine also. But, it appears that the PassView program calls this section "Password-Protected Sites". This is the one that may be your best bet -- a Proxy Server might be considered a Password-Protected Site --i don't really know.

Another possibility is that you will have a sixth entry that is specifically for Proxies. Since I don't use a Proxy Server, I can only guess....