Lounger
    Thanks

Scanner and Color Loss

Hi - I had an unusual experience this week - I did a fresh install of Windows 2000 Professional on my home machine. Installed up to and including SP3. I took my machine home, hooked it up to all the goodies there, including a Visioneer 8100 scanner. Started to install all that stuff - The computer didn't recognize the scanner so I inserted the install disk, and got an error saying that there was an error installing and then to click finish - this put me in lovely loop from where I had to forcefully reboot. Imagine my surprise when the screen came up in Black and White! Even though the setting was still at "True Color" - Anyway, I found the updated driver for my scanner, installed and the computer still cannot connect to the scanner. And . . . my screen will only show color when I set it at 256 colors. (I feel like I'm in an old horror movie!) Any suggestions on where to go from here? This was all in preparation for the guy to come and fix my phone lines for DSL - He's still coming but I need my scanner! Any ideas?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Scanner and Color Loss

Did YOU install the scanner yourself on the old setup?

I think you will find out that Scanner CD, does NOT have 2K drivers and software. You may need to go to the OEM site to get the 2K drivers and software.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

I did install the scanner on the old set up but it was Windows 98 - I have started fresh with the W2k. If I downloaded the updated drivers from Visioneer should that include everything I need to install? I did find a .dll that seemed to be missing (part of a different error message I got when updating the driver) on another site and I am going to try adding that tonight - Any ideas on my lack of color?

Lounger
    Thanks

OEM says the scanner will work in the 2k evironment and the updated drivers were labeled that way. So the missing color is not just my time traveling back to the 50's? (anyone else here remember them?)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

When I went to 2K, my old scanner was NOT supported and I could NOT get any color. I had to upgrade my scanner. Is your scanner on the 2K supported list, and or does the OEM say it will work with 2K?

The following is from http://msservice.com/Scanners/Visioneer 8100 detail.htm

O/S Supported Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT 4.0

However at http://www.visioneer.com/support/fla...0downloads.asp you will see a updated driver (5.80Mb) that will support 2K. But NOT that it is for USB only.
    Visioneer 8100 USB driver Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000 and Windows XP Certified

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

The good new is I got my scanner working - it was a missing .dll - Now I am at a loss as to what to do about the color - I can only see color at the 256 color setting, my screen displays as B&W in True Color although it was fine before all the broohaha with the scanner. I looked for an updated driver (NVIDIA Riva 128/128XZ) and it looks like Nvidia does not have a driver for this card that works with W2K - Could this be true? Any suggestions?