New Lounger
    Princes Risborough, Buckinghamshire, England
    Thanks

Word 2002 - books for beginners (2002)

Can anyone use experience to recommend a book for my father-in-law? He's in his mid-60s, has had his first home computer (running XP home) for about one month, and wants to use his copy of Word 2002 for letters relating to his bowls club. His only WP experience in the last 5 years is using a Brother all-in-one machine, from which we've converted his existing documents. I can only give him face-to-face advice about 4 times a year, as he lives a long way away from me.

He's no fool, but is starting from scratch (and of course wants to churn out good-looking documents immediately). After looking at Internet bookshop reader reviews, I've suggested three possibilities to him in descending order of preference:

Word 2002 Step by Step - Perspection Inc / Microsoft Press
    Microsoft Word 2002 Plain and Simple - Jerry Joyce and Marianne Moon / Microsoft Press
    Special Edition Using Word 2002 - Bill Camarda et al / Que

If you have experience of similar circumstances and can suggest other books or confirm my current opinion, this would be very helpful.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 2002 - books for beginners (2002)

Although it's a great book (I own the 2000 version), Special Edition Using Word 2002 - Bill Camarda et al / Que is overkill for a man looking to make nice looking letters relating to his bowls club. I own it because I'm a professional word processor and it's a superb reference book for all the heavy-duty portions of Word as well as the lighter stuff.

The Step-by-step, if memory serves, uses a number of examples involving a garden club, or a garden store including letters, membership lists, etc. It does tend towards a "lesson" approach.

I don't have any experience with the Plain and Simple.

In general, I like the "Teach Yourself Visually..." series - which is quite light on text, and insteads relies on clearly labeling screen pictures, and SAMS ".Learn..in 24 hours" series, though I don't have experience with the Word titles specifically.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I used Bill Camarda's book when I first started & like it, although it has some misleading information. The Running series by Microsoft Press is good, although I haven't used the Word one. Quite frankly, I liked the old User's Guide that came with Word 6, but I doubt you could find it.

New Lounger
    Princes Risborough, Buckinghamshire, England
    Thanks

Thanks Phil and Eowyn. Unfortunately, the "Running" series seems to have stopped at Word 2000. It may be replaced by the "Inside Out" series, but the Word 2002 book in this series seemed like the same kind of overkill as Camarda for this particular audience.
    I could supply the old boy with a Word 6 manual from my attic (and a copy of Woody's Underground Guide to Word 6 for that matter) because I kept it when the no-manual versions came out, but I don't want to add the complication of "this is how it worked 10 years ago and it's only a Word Processor, so the important bits are still the same, even though everything looks completely different".

Lounger
    Thanks

Another book that is worth considering is