5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

missing 'from' (XP PRO SP1 OE6.0)

Suddenly the 'from' line has gone blank in newsgroup messages. I can see the contents of mail OK but I can't see who it's from - this is disconcerting. Even with messages I post to newsgroups the 'from' line is blank. Has this happened to anyone else? can anyone think of a solution?

Thanks,

Chris

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: missing 'from' (XP PRO SP1 OE6.0)

It is OKJ for me and I am running Windows XP Pro SP 1

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Could it be a change by your service provider? Trying connecting through a different server, if you can. For example, I can see microsoft.public.internet.mail both under my ISP's server and through news.microsoft.com.

In OE 5.5, you can add a new News server through Tools|Accounts...|Add|News... Does it make a difference?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion - I've tried connecting with two different broadband accounts and dial up networking and I'm not seeing anything in the 'from' column. I've right-clicked the column header bar and checked the seetings. I even tried unchecking and rechecking the from column but it didn't make any difference. This only seems to be affecting newsgroups - other messages are fine. Could a virus cause this behaviour? It happened very suddenly.

Chris

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just ran Ad-aware 6 and it picked up a possible high-jack attempt to my browser. It also found a tracking cookie: "add me, free website promotion!.url" I'm still having the same probelm although Ad-aware 6 is giving me a clean bill of health. It may be a coincidence. Any thoguhts, anyone?

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks

You may have covered it, but just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, I'm talking about trying different News accounts, as displayed on the News tab of the Tools|Accounts... dialog and in the folder tree.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for checking - I thought you were referring to connections. I'm not sure about accessing alternative accounts for all the newsgroups I use but I did try making a second connection to some of the accounts as an experiment. Doing this seems to have cured one account but some of the others still have the same symptom. I wonder what's causing it.

I did some more checking of my system and found 'xupiter' in my history folder. I'm sure I never went there and one of the forums at GRC.com mentions that it is something to do with highjacking browsers. I rolled the whole system back about a week and references to browser hijackers seem to have gone but Outlook Express newsgroups still have this strange behaviour so I guess it's caused by something else.

Chris