New Lounger
    Thanks

Slammer Questions

I read WOW 8.03 then tried to read Microsoft's information at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...rts/slammer.asp. Woody is right, that is almost impossible to get through. So here is my question:

Is Woody simply recommending that we all download and install the same SQL SP-3 patch or do we need to figure out the exact version of the MSDE that is installed on each individual machine and apply the appropriate patch?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: Slammer Questions

As long as you have MDSE 2000 you can apply SP-3. SP-3 contains all fixes included in SP-1 & SP-2.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Any speculation on why Microsoft's web site would make it look so darn complicated? I spent a whole afternoon trying to figure it all out and never really succeeded to my satisfaction. They keep saying you have to apply different patches depending on what you have installed but when you go to the link for further information there is a whole page of non-information with yet another link for specific instructions which just takes you back to the original page. It is really insane.

Would this be for people who don't want to apply SP-3 and just want to apply a small patch specific to this vulnerability? Is there any reason I should worry about SP-3?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Grant.
    Yeah, I think the convoluted explanation is for those who don't want to apply SP-3. There is always reason to be cautious when applying a service pack. You should make sure that at a minimum all your data is backed up. If you want to be conservative do a complete system backup. This applies to all service packs for all products.

Joe
    Joe