Lounger
    Thanks

Memo fields that won't edit (Access 97)

I have an Access 97 database with around 20,000 records in a main data table. There are four memo fields in the table. Most of the records behave fine. But with a small number of them you cannot save changes to text in the memo fields through a text-box control on a form. There is no error message, but when you move to next record the changes are not saved. The only way to edit the text in these particular records is via the table datasheet. I cannot find anything peculiar about the particular records or the text they contain. Anyone any ideas?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Memo fields that won't edit (Access 97)

Hi Mike,
    I presume you have tried the compact and repair process with no success. Is there anything unique about the content of these fields for the records in question? Is the content very large? Are they more or less contiguous? Do they contain any special characters? You may already be aware of this, but memo fields tend to be problem children in that they are not stored with the rest of a record in .mdb files, but are stored on their own page or set of pages, depending on size. As a result, corruption of a database often occurs in memo fields. Would it be possible to convert them 255 text fields?
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you installed Service Pack 3 for Jet 3.5? It comes with an improved compact-and-repair (in Tools/Database Utilities), and a stand-alone utility Jetcomp. Both can detect and repair problems with memo fields that the original version of Jet 3.5 couldn't handle.

You can download it from ACC97: Updated Version of Microsoft Jet 3.5 Available for Download.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to Wendell and Hans. Unfortunately there's too much text to use ordinary 255 text fields. Compact and repair makes no difference. I'll try SP3 upgrade to Jet 3.5 (not sure what version I have currently). I just discovered another oddity. If I explicitly save the errant record after editing (Records - Save Record), rather than just closing the editing form, the changes are saved.

Is there a good FAQ on Memo fields around? I've found various postings, but nothing that brings together the various gotchas, good practice, etc.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You might want to look carefully at any code you have running in conjunction with your form - it may be rogue code that is canceling the normally automatic save associated with bound forms under certain data conditions. Probably a long shot, but . . . .

As to you second question, I don't know of anything that specifically deals with memo fields, but you might find this MS Knowledge base article of value:
    HOW TO: Keep a Jet 3.x Database in Top Working Condition
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

One thing you could try is to create a new database and import the tables into it. I have found that sometimes cures problems that appear in Access DB's.