Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2000 printing (MS Office 2000 SR-2)

I'm using Word (via Office 2000 SR-2) and an HP III laserjet printer, with Windows 98. Recently documents I create from scratch or documents created months ago are printing strangely. The first page prints OK, but the second and subsequent pages do not obey the Page Setup margins I have made. For example, a document set with a header and footer on each page, at 0.5" top and bottom margins and the same for the header and footer (with 1" left and right), and set for the Whole Document, prints as desired on page 1. But page 2 and after drop down to 0.75" at the top and 0.25" at the bottom.

I checked several documents, and they all behave the same way. So I looked at the version of Word, and in Help-About it said SR-1. Although I was sure I'd installed SR-2 when it became available, I did so again, using my CD ROM. After restarting the computer, I checked the version again, and it still says SR-1. Could that be the problem??

I've been hesitant to install SR-3 because I keep reading in the newsletters about glitches and bugs. I'm not tech-savvy enough to wade through and fix much. Anyway, what can you suggest to fix the printing problem?

Thanks

Re: Word 2000 printing (MS Office 2000 SR-2)

Regarding the version, the SP2 service pack doesn't update the version "name," but it does update the four digit build number, so after SP2 the number is: "9.0.4402 SR-1" (at least, this is what mine says).

First thing to check: do you have a second section that starts on page 2? As you may know, each section can have its own margins, and you have to have your insertion point in a particular section to get the correct values to show in the Page Setup dialog.

If that isn't it, can you post a sample document?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have run into this on several machines running Office 2002 on a Win XP SP1. I removed the print drivers and then reinstall a new copy. If you are running on a netword, redo the host computer and then redo the others. Make sure to delete the OLD setup.

It may even be a good time to check to see if there are any NEW drivers for these printers and then use them.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info about the version number changing when you install SR-2.

About the printing problem, the documents are all one section; I checked just to be sure. I also checked the Page Setup - Margins settings on several pages, too, and they were correct. So, on to the next recommendation: to find new printer drivers. If that fails also, I'll certainly post a sample document.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Your suggestion about printer drivers sounds like a winner. I'll look for new ones. Believe me, I'm not technically savvy enough to delete the existing ones, so I'll hope that new driver will overwrite. Fortunately (I think), I'm using a standalone PC and not a network.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"hope that new driver will overwrite", sorry you will need to remove them first. Just go to the printer control pane, select the icon of the printer that you want to delete, and hit the Delete button on your keyboard, and say yes to are you sure.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Betsy:
    Could you upload one of the offending documents to the Lounge. Maybe one of us would see something.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the printer reinstall tips. I did that, but it didn't correct the problem of a multipage document changing its top and bottom margins after the first page. Please see later posts for a sample document and more explanation.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

About a new printer driver for my HP LaserJet III -- I'm on the hunt but no success yet. The Microsoft site sent me to Hewlett Packard, but there's nothing listed there for me. I've sent a product complaint and am waiting for a response. They may not be supporting this old printer any more.

About the document printing problem -- The same thing happens with WordPerfect documents, and it seems to happen only when there's a header and footer. I'm attaching a Word document that's four pages long. See if you can find something that might be causing the problem of a creeping top margin and what to do about it.

Also, the pages print OK if I print them one at a time by using the Print Current Page option.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Your profile doesn't say where you are based.

I note that your document is configured to use Letter size paper. Is your printer also set to this size of paper and is this paper actually in the printer? I have seen similar problems when automatic resizing between Letter and A4.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm based in the United States. The problem with printing is not from the paper size, but thanks for the suggestion.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Update on printer drivers -- No luck yet finding a printer driver for my HP LaserJet III. Hewlett Packard no longer supports this model. Any ideas on where I could find one?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Betsy--

Have you checked to see if there may be something mechanically wrong with the printer? It sort of sounds like the printer may be pulling subsequent pages a tad later than it should (perhaps the pause before the printer starts a print job enables it to pull the first page correctly). If you print several copies of the first page of your document (specify the number of copies on the print dialog box, but do not send duplicate print jobs), do you have the same margin problems on the second copy? If so, your printer would probably need servicing.

Sorry can't help with printer drivers (although if the mechanical issue doesn't pan out, I might try using an HP LJ4 driver just for kicks).

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Betsy:
    I could find nothing inherently wrong with your document. I think the suggestions regarding the driver (if it's still available) may be the most viable. Hubert's suggestion that there may be something wrong with the printer itself may be true. If you try to print all 4 pages, but set it for manual feed so it waits for each page, what happens?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

More experimentation yields inconsistent results. Sometimes the printer will print several copies of the same page correctly and sometimes not. I'm experimenting with different documents and the same inconsistent results occur.

A colleague recommended www.drivers.com, so I searched for LaserJet III drivers and found one for my Windows 98SE, uploaded by a user. Comments from people who had downloaded and installed it were inconsistent (some could install it and some couldn't), so I'm now waiting for assistance from the originator.

You may be correct that the printer needs servicing. If service is as expensive as a new printer, I'll spring for a new one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast