2 Star Lounger
    Canberra City, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

User Cancelled (Word 2000)

I made a Word document by copying the text of an article from a web site (about 20 pages). I edited the document to remove some superfluous details and then saved it, opened it and printed it. Now I wish to do some more editing, but when I attempt to open the document Word will not open it but a message "User Cancelled" appears in the right corner of the bottom task bar.

Opening the document in WordPad revealed large numbers of hyperlinks. I began to delete them but got tired of that so tried again - same result. The hyperlinks are of course to other parts of the web site and so do not work now that the document is separated from it. Connecting to the web has not helped. If I can open the document I will remove all the hyperlinks.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how I can open and repair the document, please.

NoelM

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: User Cancelled (Word 2000)

Hi Noel:
    I'm not familiar with that error message when trying to open a document. However, try the first step from <post#=197827>post 197827</post#> & see if that helps.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much Phil,

I tried your First Step which still did not fix the problem, but I then opened the document again in Word Pad and removed all the hyperlinks (which I did not want anyway) and then saved it as a Word 6 document. I could open that in Word, although had lost all the formatting. But that is OK.

Thank you for your help.

Noel

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, Noel. If you frequently copy items from the internet in this manner you would probably do better to paste it into Word using Edit / Paste Special / Unformatted text. Although you would need to reformat the text you will have left behind all of the hyperlinks and other "bad" formatting which can corrupt your Word file.

HTH
    Karen

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Karen, jolly good suggestion, which of course I did not think of! Actually I do not copy things from the internet very often, but often enough to take note of what you say.
    Thank you

Noel